uv sterilization

Started by bigbaz118118, January 10, 2009, 11:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbaz118118

hi another newbie here got a question regarding ultraviolet sterilization is this a safe method or is the pressure cooker the way to go for sterilizing my substrate

many thanks

psilocybin warrior

What the heck is ultraviolet sterilization?......pc your sub.

PW

bigbaz118118

hi im starting my first project and was looking for a kit that would save cash on having to buy a pressure cooker n substrate ect i found a kit on ebay from a company based in the uk which is where im located

i read through te description it says the substrate comes sealed and streilized using u.v sterilization which i thought was rather strange

the substrate is pf-tek containing        medium grade vermiculite
                                                     organic brown rice flour
                                                     mineral water
                                                     worm casings
                                                     bee pollen
                                                     and some sort of antibiotic

the company state that the sterilization technique is done with ultra violet waves

the spore syringe i have purchased is the golden teacher as i said this is my first project and any help tips n techniques are much apreciated thanks

sin2win

if ure going to do pf-tek than y not just make ure own jars?  y order substrate if u can do pf jars without a pc, u can just boil the jars.  Im not sure what site u got them from but i'd  be skeptical.  I would like to do it myself, just follow the tek to the t.  There are lots of videos and posts about pf, just "search" a little and u should be good GL ;)

fattrout

yes i have to agree with sin.  i have been down that road and started this hobby i bought pre pre-pared jars and more than half ended up being contaminated.  i do know what you are talking about with the UV sterilization i am not sure how that works with unwanted contaminants because i used to raise exotic fish and we would us UV light to kill parasites on the fish.. i am not sure if it takes care of unwanted molds and mildew.  and if you cannot find a pressure cooker boiling works fine, i have done it.  now i have the pressure cooker and never have any contamination, just take it slow and follow the teks and you'll be fine.
fattrout

bigbaz118118

thanks guys ill keep you posted with my results and pics

ezdunnit

I am also a first well maybe 2nd timer I don't use a pressure cooker but I use like a double broiler (steamer) type pot. it is a large pot with a strainer type pot in it and a glass lid that way you can set your jars on the strainer pot put the right amount of water in and away you go. when the time is up just remove the strainer pot and set on the side till cool. It works great for me and I have had maybe 1 out of 10 jars get contaminated.
(''''ezdunnit'''')

bigbaz118118

al try the steamer method then, thanks starting to get excited the spores must only be a day or so away

bigbaz118118

hi another question thats just cropped into my head would it be possible to use plastic jars instead of glass as am struggling to find wide mouth jars that will allow the cake to be tapped out when fully colonized

thak=nks

fattrout

yes i used plastic ziploc 2 cup jars one time. in boilling water for 1 1/2 hours, but if you can find glass you would be better off. IMO

p.s. microwavable safe..
fattrout

bigbaz118118

good good , i just watched a documentary on you tube magic mushroom growing made easy it showed the pf tek method also showed the rye seed method

the rye seed substrate looked a lot better for bulk growing and constant cultivation i was looking for rye seed and all a seem to be finding is bird seed and lawn grass would this be suitible for this purpose

sin2win

YES, there are lots of things to use Wild Bird Seed is what i would reccomend if u cant find rye
Here's a link for a nice tek >>>>http://www.shroomery.org/9030/Docs-Wild-Bird-Seed-Tek

All grains u HAVE to PC. i'd prob do a few cakes before bulk but...i never did cakes, oops.

captshroom

I've done cakes and had pretty good results. All you need is a big pot and a stove. If you want to do grains you need a PC. No way around that. I saw a 22qt Presto with a gauge at the Goodwill in Cookeville TN for $29. Flea markets, Goodwill, thrift stores or buy new...you need a pc to do grains. You will end up with a huge bag of shrooms that you don't know what to do with! You can grow plenty of shrooms for your own head with PF cakes!
Peace
Captshroom

ciupercarii

The best and safe method sterilizing  substrate is the pressure cooker , ultraviolet sterilization is treatment of surface, not depth.
Musrooms farm - ciupercarii
http://www.ciupercarii.daky.ro

Cameltom

would using one wile fruting  help keep contams out??