do u have a flow hood

Started by Cameltom, January 19, 2009, 02:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameltom

is building a flow hood worth the money??

i work at a tree nursery and we are taking down one of ower old prop houses
and i noticed some pretty good blowers in there i dont think my boss is going to re use so i was thinking if i could get that for cheap it wouldnt cost a hole lot of money to make one

could you make a flow hood that blows into a glove box??
would that be a good idea or bad??

psilocybin warrior

That kind of defeats the purpose of the glovebox.

PW

Cameltom

what do u do to a glove box be for you use it to make sure theres no contams in it???

psilocybin warrior

sin2win

the purpose of a glove box is to have still air.  wipe it down but it wont be 100% sterile without a flow hood (u could have it running for a while then shut it down but its a waste of time IMO).  The point of the glove box is to try and have still air so unwanted shit dont fly around.  i wipe down then spray a bit of lysol, wait about 10 minutes (with everything i need in there) then flame sterilize the needle and move it into the glove box while still red hot.  dont flame sterilize inside of the glove box, shit sets on fire lol.  dont make fast movements just be calm and carful.

Cameltom

i might just make a glove box for 20 buck rather than spending 150 on a flowhood
thanks

sin2win

yea thats what i did, not even 20. i just bought a clear bin heated up a coffe can and pushed it through to make 2 arm holes(instead of cuttting).

Cameltom

i think ill try that
heating up a coffie tin sounds like a good idea for arm holes

fattrout5

Ya know if you can spend the fifty bucks i bought a little honeywell hepafilter at home depot, since then i do all my sterile work in front of it and have had no contamination problems.  i don't even use a glove box anymore.  just make sure your are is cleaned well 1/2 hour before you start your work.  using this method i have had 100% luck.
fattrout (1,2,3,4&5)

sin2win

really, i might look into that.... home depot u said.

:rolleyes:   I built one outta a $100 12x2x24" industrial HEPA filter, a custom-made cardboard box, a 450 cf per min blower, caulk, box tape, and paint. 

AljonGuzman

What is your conclusion using this glove box? May i know?