New-B first timer, nice to be here... :)

Started by inneralchemy, January 27, 2009, 03:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inneralchemy

I'd like to design a place to grow mushrooms. it's cold right now so I'd like to have both an incubating and fruiting chamber that I can control the temp and perhaps hang flourescent lights above maybe in my basement. Can I please get some advice to do this? What to buy... a fish tank heater perhaps and some totes...etc... Thanks!!! I'm just starting out and will be using the PF tech. I watched the free video Let's Grow Mushrooms a couple times but still have some questions and want everything to go smoothly my first time. I'm excited! :)

Rapid_Recoil

Well Welcome to the Forums. I would be glad to help u get started I am no expert but have had 30 or so nice flushes so far I have an incubator set-up that is cheap as hell to build and also have some nice pics and specs on how to build a fruiting chamber (Thanks to PW)! Just message me and we could go from there I am on computer 8 hrs a day lol.

psilocybin warrior

Welcome.

-For an incubator all you need are two non-translucent rubbermaid bin's (size of choice), a fishtank heater, and a thick woven towel if you'd like.

First fill 1 rubbermaid with water until the base of the 2nd rubbermaid can come in contact with the water, once you've done that throw in your fully submersible fishtank heater, set between 75-80 degree's F' depending on the temp of your floors. and vualA 1 incubator setup. easypeasy

PW

sin2win

Nice prictorial/walkthrough right on this site...http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek
it'll show u everything about the pf-tek and how to make a incubator (pictures)

fattrout

Welcome to the fourms, this is a good hobby. i am fairly new to this myself but with PW and baph's help i am having a blast enjoying the fruits of my labors.
baph and PW are the shroom gods...lol
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

Then that must mean anno is the supermegaultra god.

What size fruiting chamber are u considering, a regular big ol storage bin? or do u want something with multiple levels? If you let me know roughly how much money you have to invest I can throw you different idea's.

PW

fattrout

fattrout

inneralchemy

Thank you all!!! You sound like a great bunch. First of all let me clarify
that it's not me who wants to grow mushrooms(I lied). I'm interested  purely
out of academic curiosity and perhaps to grow some rishi's down the road
and perhaps some morels or however you spell it. right now I'm wondering
also how to know when to pick them. What's an average time between pinning
and picking? Is it always when the cap breaks away from the stem or is there
more to it than that?? I'm also curious if when you harvest from mycobags and some are done and some arn't if you should mist them with distilled water before closing the bag back up? Thanks!! :)

shroomzer

You lied?  why? why do you want so many specifics if your not growing them ... hmmmmmmmm explain.....

psilocybin warrior

First of all let me clarify
that it's not me who wants to grow mushrooms(I lied)
I'm interested  purely
out of academic curiosity and perhaps to grow some rishi's down the road
and perhaps some morels or however you spell it.

- :huh:

I'm wondering
also how to know when to pick them

- If you wan't to grow reishi's and morals buy a medicinal mushroom growers manual, those involve different parameters, schedule's, etc.

I'm also curious if when you harvest from mycobags and some are done and some arn't if you should mist them with distilled water before closing the bag back up? Thanks!!

-What kind of mycobags do you plan on using for reishi's and morals?

I'm interested  purely
out of academic curiosity

- Take a mycology class at your local community college.

PW

inneralchemy

Please forgive me, I'm new here.
"I lied" wasn't because I'm a lier,
I just am not sure what it's OK
to talk about and what isn't,
that's all. Not that I'm doing
anything "wrong" but I wouldn't
want anyone to get the wrong
impression, Thanks. I guess you
think I'm being really silly...  :rolleyes:
No one else seems to be concerned...

fattrout

oh you think big brother is watching and listening. maybe but don't worry he's deaf,
dumb and blind...LOL
fattrout

inneralchemy

Yes, I admit it and sorry for being paranoid. Whew, now that that's out of the way I have some questions!

Is it OK to bake verm before preparing jars for boiling? I think I read that will be extra protection against bacteria. Thanks all and, again, glad to be here.

fattrout

yes, i have done it but i'm not sure it makes a difference. at last i haven't noticed a difference.I PC my sub....
fattrout

inneralchemy

jrfungi

before you try the fruits of your labor you might want to get over that paranoia!!!!! G/L

shroomzer

LOL .. yep I agree with jrfungi ..... hahahaha

inneralchemy

I'm over it, again, I'm very sorry. Something just came over me.
I'm getting ready to try PF and have all the supplies. Wish me
luck! Oh, just wondering, I have some verm and it just basically
says verm on it but somewhere I read there are better ones
for this. Does it really matter? Can I use any verm? Thanks!! -_-

fattrout

i just go to OSH, i buy premium organic verm by uni-gro. its only $5 or so.
fattrout