My way of thinking how to start ...

Started by VonSmeid, January 27, 2009, 04:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonSmeid

Hi,

I would like somebody to confirm my theory of growing mushrooms.

I am planning to use HEPA filter and blower to make a clean air for workplace where I will reproduce mycelium. Than in short, I will take a part of mushroom where spores are and put it in Petri dishes (with scalpel etc.). The I will wait that mycelium begins to spread in Petri dishes. 

The other thing I will do is prepare substrate (grain) and "pasteraise" it. 

Next step wuold be that cut mycelium from petri dishes to little peaces and than put few parts of it to substrate jar, than shake the jar and wait for mycelium  to grow over the grain.

Then I prepare good conditions for growing and that is it?!

I am planing to grow shiitake. 
I would like to make everything on my own. And wouldnt like to buy spores in any way, accept in begining to get good mushroom for "cloning".

Please forgive me for my bad english and give me some comments on my way of thinking.

Ambroz is my name ;) Slovenia, EU

Rapid_Recoil

Well I would suggest that u use the tek that is out there and been proven to work then try experimenting like that.

psilocybin warrior

I am planning to use HEPA filter and blower

> A Flowhood.

I will take a part of mushroom where spores are and put it in Petri dishes (with scalpel etc.)

> When you clone, don't take tissue's from the gills or the cap, period.  Cut the stem in half and take fresh tissue from the inside stipe of the stem.

Next step wuold be that cut mycelium from petri dishes to little peaces and than put few parts of it to substrate jar, than shake the jar and wait for mycelium  to grow over the grain.

> Don't shake them right away, wait 2-4 days atleast.

The other thing I will do is prepare substrate (grain) and "pasteraise" it. 

> Shitake's will not fruit on grain's, nor can you pasturize them.

Then I prepare good conditions for growing and that is it?!

Almost. What are you planning on using for substrate?

What are you planning to use for Agar?

Try reading the tek's over a couple dozen more times.(no joke)

PW

VonSmeid1

warrior,

First of all I thank you for your quick response. Second, I logged in with different account as my old VonSmeid wasnt able to log in?!

Now back to mushrooms,

1. What in your opinion is best resource for preparing substrate for shiitake?
2. I still have to pasturize substrate before I can put mycelium from Petri dishes in?
3. What would you recommend for agar?

I am planing to start small local mushroom business. I have alot of space in and around my house to grow. (just so you know what is scale of my business, if it help you to help me).

Now I will go back and read tek"s... Been doing it for days...I am sorry for possible "stupid" questions, but once again I must say I am more than happy and gratefull you give me such professional help.

psilocybin warrior

Np,

1. What in your opinion is best resource for preparing substrate for shiitake?

Shiitake's are wood lovers so, freshly cut sugar maple or oak logs, coffee waste, straw, sawdust, woodchips.  Google search successful particle sizes for shiitake substrates, I have heard that plays a big role in the yeild. For a couple first small scale tries you can follow the PF-Tek but replace the Vermiculite with sawdust and find your best performer to clone for large scale production.

2. I still have to pasturize substrate before I can put mycelium from Petri dishes in?

Down a few posts discusses a simple non steril toothpick method http://forums.mycotopia.net/edible-medicinal-mushrooms/9151-shiitake-toothpicks.html

3. What would you recommend for agar?

Search shroomery for their best results, I've only dabbled in shiitake's.

I am planing to start small local mushroom business. I have alot of space in and around my house to grow.
(that sounds like fun)

This may also be useful if you have not read it already http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6829859
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/13

Regards,

PW