Grow Log

Started by MadAlchemy, May 15, 2010, 07:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadAlchemy

I got Texas Orange Cap spawning now.  Using a hepa filter and heater on a timer in a sterile 9X9 room with plastic zipper door.  I am using my monotub as an incubater.  Any suggestions for the sub for this species?  I was thinkn ratio wise like 4:1 sub/spawn(trying to hit like 4-5 inches).  Any all advice appreciated.  Good Vibes!
:ph34r:

dub504

Good ole' straw and hpoo! You could add coco coir if you don't plan on casing. It will help hold a little more moisture to support the 1st flush, if you don't plan on casing, but IMO straw does a good job of that too.

MadAlchemy

FOAF recommened the same Sub! lol.  Ok so is there a particular strain of straw, and I cut it like 2-3 inches right? 
MA

k12357

I love useing straw and worm castings.  Just regular old straw.  be sure its not hay.  I always cut mine into small pieces. 
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

dub504

Wheat straw is what you want, it is golden in color. Smaller bales can be found at craft chains like Michaels. Gigantic bales @ feed stores. Hay is green, you don't want that.

Mr. NIce GuY

MadAlchemy there is a Nursery on old noland road with big barrels of wheat straw for seven bucks, bags of manure and worm castings. Its called Ferrand Farms, it is the shit and the are nice old people too yo ha ha.

MadAlchemy

Thanks a ton Mr. Nice!  I will check it out.  Sounds like all my sub needs are there!

substrate

Chuck that straw into a rubbermaid tub, about 2/3 full, dribble a little water on it from the hose, then go at it with your weed eater.  Makes fast work of cutting the straw down to size.  That little bit of water will help keep the chaff down, but you will still make a ridiculous mess.