colonized jar, now what?

Started by crazyd, February 15, 2009, 06:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyd

Hey guys.  My mycelium growth has been slow, but it is possible that I might have a few fully colonized jars in a few weeks (my first time doing this).  I want to be ready when that happens.  It appears that I need to buy some perlite and prepare a simple fruting chamber.  I also read that I can choose to dunk the cakes before placing them in the chamber, and/or "cold shock" them before dunking.  What do you suggest that I do when the time comes to birth them?  Any step by step help from the point of having a fully colonized jar would be helpful.  Thanks for all your help so far!

fattrout

hey carzyd, there are many ways to birth cakes its a matter of preferance. i like to light shock my jars for about one day.then i take and dunk my cakes using spring water in the fridge for about 12 hour. after that i roll them in fine verm...into F.C. they go.
as for F.C. i use a comb. of two methods... http://www.shroomery.org/9047/Poor-Mans-Pod
http://www.shroomery.org/10156/Automated-Humid-Air-amp-Air-Exchanger-Tek-ToadStoolFool.   the 1st site is my F.C. and the 2nd i us for FAE and RH... you just have to find what works for you.. i will post some pics soon. i'm sure everyone here has a dif. way.
fattrout

fattrout

here come soom pics.. i think i've been a little pic. crazy lately.LOL

light shock 24 hour..

this is how i dunk. 12 hours in fridge.  most of the time i put 2 cakes in that container.

some F.C. pics.. that cake on lower left side, this is its 4th flush.

fattrout

crazyd

Thanks Trout.  The pics really help.  About the light shock...I see you have a thermostat there, but I can't tell what type of light they are under...does it matter?  And the thermostat...are you trying to keep it a certain temp?  Also, any recommendations on what type/brand of perlite to use, or something else?
Thanks!

fattrout

the light is just a clamp on lamp i bought at home depot. 15 watt sunlite bulb. the thermostat is so heat from lamp does not get to hot. i try to keep the jars around 74 F..
as for perlite i personally do not like. for me it seems to hard to work with. i use hydrotom (geolite). it works the same as perlite but can be cleaned with soap and water then reused. i hope this gives you some ideas...
fattrout

shroomzer

fattrout

sure, it looks like we're all goin be in arizona soon looking for frogs....LMAO
fattrout

sin2win

HAHAHA hilarious!!  Nice setup btw, i think im going to do the same setup when i start my cakes (eventually).  Enjoy!!! -_-

psilocybin warrior

U might wanna do somethini about all those hanging corads and surge protector.  saftey first ^_^

PW

fattrout

yeah, ill work on that one of these days...lol
fattrout