Can I birth a 1/2 colonized jar?

Started by crazyd, February 20, 2009, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyd

I've got 2 jars of PF classic that I innoculated back on 1/12/09, so it has been almost 40 days.  They both have grown really well and are VERY thick in 1/2 of the jar.  I made some marks on the jar to see if they are still growing, and they are, but very slowly.  They seem to have stayed about the same size for the most part for at least 2 weeks now.  At this rate I don't think they will be fully colonized for another month at the earliest.  I believe that when I innoculated, I didn't stick the syringe down far enough, so the other side of the jars essentially did not get any spores at all.  Could I go ahead and birth these? I tried to post pics of the front and back of the jar but it keeps telling me it can't access the filepath of the photos.  Sorry. Thanks!

psilocybin warrior

It won't fruit if its 50% colonized, shake the shit out of em to redistribute the mycelium and wait a week.

PW

dan

I have the same problem, this is my 3rd attempt and I'm getting frustrated,  its like the cakes just stopped growing one day.  its been about 4 weeks and at 3 weeks I noticed no difference from day to day.  I pulled one of the cakes the was 95% colonized and left it out for 1 week so far.  Will 95% start to pin and fruit? 

k12357

if its a repeated problem you can try turning your jars over and tap them so they fall down a little bit.  It will alow fresh air to get to the uncolonized area.  if that dosent work you are probably not keeping the jars far enough off the bottom when you boil them.  and its getting dryed out at the bottom.  as far as fruiting a partially colonized cake i have no idea.  i would imagine if you cut the uncolonized area out it would fruit.
"We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open."

Cameltom

i had one cake that was 80% and i crumbled it and cased it in a bread tin and now shroomies are coming out of it
but i wouldn't just birth it

psilocybin warrior

I've only birthed pf-cakes that were 90%+ colonized they just took a little longer to fruit, you could also do what cameltom did.

PW

fattrout

when  i 1st started this hobby i had some jars take up to 60 day. but with some patience and changes to my tek (the way i do thing) my jars are now colonizing in around 14 days. so be patient. make some changes to your tek and take notes. one thing i started to do, when i make sub i add 1 tsp. honey to the water for 12 jar mix of sub... that helped my jars move 50% faster..also make sure your sub is not packed to thight in the jars. these are think that help me..
fattrout

fattrout

another thought, i had some jars do that. take a long time and stall. thay ended up being contaminated. pics would be nice..
fattrout

sin2win

honey in the water huh, nice idea.  im prob going to do cakes for the first time sometime this week (started with grains).  Im knocking them up with LC tho so i dont know how much honey will help?  maybe they'll colonize in like 5 days!! lol  :mellow:

EDIT: im going to attempt a grain LC i stumbled on http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6817701/an/0/page/0
LC's are very hard to tell if their contaminated or not, basically have to test it out on a jar to c if it viable.  This is more fool proof and i think it colonizes just like a LC as well it pretty much is a LC  ^_^

maybe ill inspire some1 to try it also lol GL... thank me later  :mellow:

dan

PW would you birth the cake normally? cam says to put it in a tin?  Im not sure what to do, 

You were right I shook the 50% jar and it was green inside, I chucked it...  Im going to try and post some pics, im not sure how the remaining jars are doing. 

crazyd

I shook my 2 stubborn jars and one does actually seem to be moving along faster now.  I'll keep you posted.

psilocybin warrior

You'd probably have trouble fruiting off the cake, I only did when it was 90% or higher and most of the remaining 10% colonized over in the fc.  If you want to get more out of your cake case it like cameltom.

PW

dan

what else could I put it in besides a bread tin?  I should use the perilite normally as I would in a regular chamber? 

Cameltom

what else could I put it in besides a bread tin?  I should use the perilite normally as I would in a regular chamber? 

any thing it can fit in. if ur using an fc with perlite then yes
u can case it a tub(AKA monotub) if you do not want to use perlite or any other Humidifying tek
pleas correct me if I'm wrong

dan

you say you broke it up?  just in a few chuncks or really broken up to little pieces?  This stuff is pissing me off, I really want this to work. 

Cameltom

nickle - quarter  popcorn nugget size
u get bigger shrooms if u dunk ur cakes
i did 1/4inch coir on bottom then my crushed cakes 1/2-1inch of coir on the top
incubater 4 days then fruit
12-16 days later u should c pins if all goes good
it took my b+ about 12 days it took my golden teachers about 15

sin2win

<u can case it a tub(AKA monotub) if you do not want to use perlite or any other Humidifying tek
pleas correct me if I'm wrong

Monotub is best when it contains a bulk sub.  Bulk holds moisture and it creates RH (as it dries up a bit)  I dont think a crumbled cake cased would work, i never heard of it.
  u can spawn ure crumbled cake to bulk, coir (reptile bedding) can be easily obtained at most pet stores pretty cheap.  then creat a monotub.
here's a link http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6004845/an/0/page/0
u can use straight coir but the more u mix in the better... straight coir does work great tho

Cameltom

i use the 3 small tin deal at wal*mart 1.50 and put them in a one of thoes big deep tin pans with the plastic top 2.50 hooked a fish pump to it for fae $15 works alright cheap too
i also use a 35 gallon tub with cool mist

Cameltom

Monotub is best when it contains a bulk sub.  Bulk holds moisture and it creates RH (as it dries up a bit)  I dont think a crumbled cake cased would work, i never heard of it.
how would that not work???
it works for me
a mono tub is  a growing chamber set up to minimize care, with vents for air exchange.

sin2win

<a mono tub is  a growing chamber set up to minimize care, with vents for air exchange

true, again i never tried or heard of JUST casing  grain/cake in a mono.  spawnig yes. 
Also, I believe u yourself case with a bulk sub (coir). coir is nutrious and colinizes itself, most ppl case with verm/peat.  not very nutrious but a microclimate maybe thats y  :huh:.

If it works hey it works but id spawn to coir instead of case with it, then case with verm/peat<-- works GREAT for me!