limestone flour or oyster shells, pros and cons

Started by fattrout, February 22, 2009, 12:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fattrout

i am going to case PF cakes for the 1st time. so i've been researching teks. the fungifun tek calls for limestone flour. but this is all i could find will this work

i think i read a post where PW said it is not necessary. help..lol

p.s. i just found a pet store that has a oyster shell limestone mix but it also has a small amount of charcoal.. will the charcoal be bad for the casing??
fattrout

Cameltom

i do casings with coconut fiber that way i dont need lime stone
but when i do use it i get if from work(i work at a tree nursery)
the only thing i would worry about is that it is palletized
lime stone is a buffer for the Ph level if it is to high it will bring the Ph down
what are u using for a casing mix?? if u use peat u should use lime
i think i have heard of people using charcoal but dont hold me to it

psilocybin warrior

I never have, or will I probably ever use limestone flour.  If you want to use that, pulverise it into powder.

PW

Cameltom

fattrout

cool thanks for the info...so i'm going with the 50/50 verm. peat casing mix this time. mybe next time i'l try limestone or oyster shells to see if it makes a diff. for me. i have 20 jars (1/2 pt.) that are ready. i hoping to case most of then i still love my little cakes but i think its time to move to grains. 
fattrout

Cameltom

verm is hard to come by were i live so i only use it in cakes + coir is really cheep
i would love to try some grains as well but i have no PC :angry:

psilocybin warrior

the pellets would give it chemical burn righ??

-  I dunno about that, I don't think so? but the powdery "flour" is probably better distributed and absorbed.

Some pressure cookers go for 20-40$, if you live by any flea markets you could possibly get one cheaper.

PW

jrfungi

i have better luck with 50/50 coir verm. i use a 1/2 cup of cruched oyster shell form mycsupply. It is cheap and i have had great results. Coir is so cheap and very easy to use.

Baphom3t

limestone flour = waste of money
oyster shells = waste of money

pros: None
cons: waste of money

Baph

sin2win

fattrout

fattrout