Croc Pot ??

Started by Noob2Cube, March 03, 2009, 04:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noob2Cube

Hi im new to cultivation of mushies and well i was wondering could one use a Croc pot to sterilize the Jars filled with the medium. also im wondering can u be traced back to your home when buying spores online ?

MT

Never heard of anyone using a crock pot. Try studding the PF-tek found on this website. You will probably want to start out with a pot of boiling water on the stove. Just because it is the cheapest and easiest way to start this hobby. I have been buying my spores from RalphsterSpores and it is not an online purchase. Most reputable sites will tell you that they don't keep any records though. Also it is not illegal to buy the spores for microscopic use.

fattrout

no i don't think a croc pot will work. a P.C. brings your sub to a temp of 250+ to kill all germs. a croc pot won't get that hot...
fattrout

Baphom3t

Croc pot won't work to sterilize jars.
If you are doing PF Tek you can use a big stew pot and steam sterilize,but for grains you will need to PC the jars.

MT said it best.
Spores are not illegal to have.
Only 3 states in america have laws against spores.
Idaho,Georgia,California
If you don't live in either of those states you are ok.

Baph

Noob2Cube

Ty.. this was just a curious thought that i had. I plan on also growing edible mushrooms, was wondering what types are good for cooking?since cooking is a passion of mine, wouldn't mind growing some for a dish. What would be a good mushroom to start out with. I was looking at the B+ strain ? any ideas would be awesome. :mellow:

heartx

B+ is a good strain to begin with, it let you make more mistakes than other would.

sin2win

B+ is an active, not a edible. so if u plan on cooking with B+ with the family, make sure u warn them first about the "special mushroom soup" or somthing before they eat and wig out! ;)
As for edibles, i never grew them but there's plenty different ones u can cook with, depends what the recipe calls for.  shittake, oysters, lions mane, etc. maybe some1 here knows a bit more with edibles.