Can I use plastic wrap over my fruiting chamber?

Started by crazyd, March 03, 2009, 02:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyd

I bought a large plastic fruiting chamber that is a translucent grey.  I've put 2 rock bubblers (aerators) on the bottom, covered them with expanded clay pellets, and filled with water.  The top that came with the plastic bin is too dark to let light in...can I just use plastic wrap and poke some holes in it?  Seems like that would work fine to me.  Also, I've seen that people place aluminum foil under their cakes, is that necessary?  Can I just place the cakes directly on the expanded clay pellets?

Thanks!!!!

jrfungi

I have placed aluminum foil under them and sat the cakes directly on the clay and i cant tell a difference. I usually use the foil well i guess just because.

I took a knife and cut a large hole in my lid. I then cut open a 1 gallon heavy duty ziploc and duct taped both sides really good. Sterilize very good of course. This looks like hell but works well for me.

JR

crazyd

MT

I used plastic wrap on my first FC and it worked fine. I didn't poke any holes in it though. The foil is placed under the cakes as a moisture shield so they are not sitting directly in the water.

fattrout

hey crazyd, i use tinfoil too. i noticed the cake will sometimes grow onto the rocks. i cut a 12x12 inch square in the lid on my pod and taped on a piece of plastic..works for me.
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

Put a barrier between the cakes and Plastic wrap is fine, tho you might need to pole a lot of holes in it.  I still do that when I pin my casings.

PW

crazyd

Thanks guys.  I'm going to dunk tonight and put them in the chamber tomorrow.  Exciting!!!!!