Average time for cakes to fruit?

Started by crazyd, March 10, 2009, 02:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyd

They are growing slowly....I'll post then when they get a little larger.  Most of them are about 1/2" right now.

durazno

can you post a few pics of your fruiting chamber?
I'm also a newbie and I'm trying to decide whether to use the terrarium they use in "let's grow mushroom videos" or the ones describe in the forums. THERE ARE SO MANY ALTERNATIVES it drives me crazy!

crazyd

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I'll be honest...my first growing attempt is NOT going well.  BUT, after a good bit of reading and asking questions, I think I have a decent fruiting chamber at least.  Read the string called "CAN'T GET RH ABOVE 90!!! Please help!!!"  in this forum and you'll see the pics.

durazno

which incubation technique did you use?
time exposed in light, temp, etc....

crazyd

To incubate I bought 2 rubbermaid tubs that were the same size.  In the bottom one I layed down a fully submersible water tank heater and set it to around 82.  You then need to put down some rocks, or cups, or anything else in the corners so that when you put the second rubbermaid tub into the first one, the tub doesn't go down all the way and touch the heater.   You fill the bottom tub, the one with the heater, with some water enough that when you place the second tub in (with the innoculated jars in it), the water level rises so it comes up several inches above the second tub.  You are essentially surrounding the top tub with warm water.  The second tub will most likely just float on the water if you don't really weigh it down with something.  I actually just used shoelace and basically tied the top tub down to the bottom.  Then I just put a bed sheet over the innoculated jars in the top tub, kept a wired temp gauge in there with them, and let them sit.  I think anywhere around 80 is an okay temp from what I've read.  When I finally did it right, I'd say it took 3 to 4 week for the jars to fully colonize...I think many people can do it much faster.  Good luck.  I'm about to innoculate 2 new jars tonight...so far I really have nothing to show for all my efforts, so you might want to PM PW or Baph or fattrout...they know WAY more than I do.

crazyd

Here's a photo of what I just put my jars in...can't tell much, but you can see the 2 tubs, the top one being weighed down by an amp and containing the jars and a blanket, the bottom one containing the water, the water heater, and 4 half crushed cola cans to keep the top tub from touching the water heater.

shroomzer

Hey crazyd .. just a thought .. as I have been reading .. are those tubs on the floor?  such as carpet .. carpets hold a lot of contams in them .. not sure how they would hurt your tubs .. but from what I understand shouldn't they be up off the floor at least a foot or two?  Most of your molds etc. grow on or in the lower parts of the floor and walls ...

psilocybin warrior

shroomzer

yeah, I was just talking with a friend of mine .. he said on the floor is fine too for an incubator.  I just feel more comfortable with my incubator up off of the floor so as to avoid any contams at all. 

fattrout

hey crazyd, i like the amp. do you play to them every nite lol. looks good man soon that tub will be filled with so many jars and casings. your head will be spinning...lol
fattrout