Can you use a heating pad to colonize jars?

Started by dan, March 05, 2009, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan

I'm going to try one more time, I just purchased pre sterilized jars from a web site.  The cakes that I made are not as bright white like most pics I see of fully colonized jars.  Some spots of my sub didnt totally colonize 100%.  I shook one and it was crap inside, i chucked it.  the others are mostly done except for a few spots that just wont turn white.  Its not discolored just the sub hasnt gotten white.  Are the pre sterile jars good? 

Cameltom

is your topic just another Question
because it has nothing to do with what u have written down
i dont know about pre sterilized jars  i guess it depends on were you got them
u can use a heat pad but take temp a few times (i would do a bottom and a top temp reading some heating pads may get to hot)
i like to keep  mine at 82 some people say thats too high some people say its to low its what my jars colonize the fastest at so thats what i use
ps good luck

dan

Thanks,  just some frustration there, this is my 3rd time im trying to grow and it hasnt gone very well so far.  1st time i inoculated too soon, everything died, this time, i made 4 jars 2 were contaminated and the 2 left are still trying to colonize the whole jar.  I have about 95% or so.  Im really hoping this works.

psilocybin warrior

If they are seed starter heating pads your fine.

PW

shroomzer

pre-sterilized jars .. yeah good luck with those.  most of the time they suck and you are going to throw them away anyway. 

as for the heating pad ... that had nothing to do with your post about pre-sterilized jars but you can use a heating pad but keep the temp. below 85ish because contamination grows quicker in higher temps.  I personally colonize my jars at about 79-82 degrees but not with a heating pad~!!!  LOL

psilocybin warrior

lostcause1138

you only colonized 4 jars? dude, next time, do at least 10. you'll get waaaay more fruit, and if a few get contaminated, it's no big deal

Baphom3t

"Are the pre sterile jars good?"

Why not try and work on proper sterility technique instead of blowing money on something you can do yourself for 1/2 the price?
It's just amazing to me how alot of people are more than willing to throw their money away when they could be rolling in the mush.

Anway, the jars you got are a 50/50 chance.
Heating pads are not needed.

Baph

fattrout

yeah make your own jars you'll be better off. in the long run  you well appreciate the fruits  of your labor...
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

LOL making ur own jars is less than half price of buying them  ^_^, Im always concerned about context, they say the JARS are pre-steralized? not the SUB? lol

PW

dan

I will let you know when they come in, I did make a batch of 6 over the weekend myself,  I ordered 6 more online, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I should be feeling great in 6 to 8 weeks.  just so you know I gave up on the whole heating pad thought. too many bad reactions...   

psilocybin warrior

just so you know I gave up on the whole heating pad thought. too many bad reactions...   

-Good call, just build a double tub incubator...its cheap, easy, and kicks donkey.

PW