Mold on cake in fc?? Please see pics.

Started by crazyd, March 18, 2009, 12:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyd

Hey guys.  These pictures are of the side of the same cake.  This has been a problem cake from innoculation until now, so if I have to toss it, it is not a big deal.  I've read about "bluing," but this looks like blue/green mold to me...could be wrong though...what should I do?  I don't want to contaminate my other cakes if it is mold.  Thanks!

fattrout

it's hard to tell in those pics, but to me it looks like blueing.. a good test is to take a wet Qtip and lightly rub it. if it comes off on the Qtip it is mold and toss it..
fattrout

crazyd

I did that and the whole little pieces just came off, so I don't know what it is.  I went ahead and scraped all the green off and put that cake in its own plastic container, just to see if anything happens with it.

Trips509

I say it is mold for sure, but if you put it in it's own container and try to fruit it, you might get some mushrooms. I don't think it's worth keeping it around though because that green mold is going to release a lot of spores and possibaly contaminate future grows.

jrfungi

A wise man once told me ......WHEN IN DOUBT THROW IT OUT.......

Why risk your entire operation for the 10 or 12 mushies that cake may produce...

THROW IT OUT!!!!!

Baphom3t

Throw that cake out NOW!!
The longer you keep that contam'd cake in your FC the more you risk contaming the other cakes.

Baph

crazyd

Thanks guys.  I already took it out of the chamber, but I'm going to put it in its own container on my back porch or something, just in case it bears fruit.

Thanks again,
crazyd