Way Too Much Mycelium! (Honest!)

Started by Kuan Yin, March 13, 2009, 08:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuan Yin

I've searched the forums and have not yet seen my current problem addressed, so here goes:

The majority of my cakes (not all) have waaaay too much mycelium growth that kinda looks like fat white baby fingers with no brown (pin) heads. I've lowered the temps, experimented with more and/or less humidity, and always fan 3 to 4 times a day. The lighting is perfect (indirect sun for 10-12 hours daily) and the interior is always 70-75 degrees F. I've misted and not-misted, but no difference. My thermometer's RH guage sucks and is not at all reliable, but there is condensation on the sides and top of my FC. I've also tried leaving the tub lid slightly ajar to allow for extra air exchange.

I've also tried elevating them so none of the perlite touches any part of the cakes in case they were drawing up excess moisture from the perlite (they had been sitting on small blankets of aluminum foil), but this has not slowed the extra mycelium growth.

I'm using a clear plastic large tub with no holes, and Mexican strain. My first attempt was very successful, but after having repeated the exact same tek, strain, etc. this time the mycelium is going overboard in my FC.

Eventually, watching and waiting for 12 days, I do have some fruiting, but they seem to be crowded-out and/or affected somewhat by the fatter, ball-like, overly abundant mycelium!
And some of the fruits seem a bit oddly shaped with large stipes and small caps that take forever to open.

Should I wash my hands and pull off the excess mycelium? I don't want to "rough-up" my sweet, little shroomies' spirits! I've run out of variables to adjust, so heeeelp!

Also, when putting the BRF cakes into the fruiting chamber, should they be placed in the same position or turned upside down from the way they were in the jars?
Sorry, wish I could supply pics but have no digital camera.

One more thing, the Pro's and Heroes and others who offer their advice and expertise on this site are AWESOME and more than generous with their time and help...with a special thanks to PW!

THANK YOU ALL from my shroom-lovin' heart!!! 

-Kuan Yin

psilocybin warrior

-This sounds like an RH problem,

My thermometer's RH guage sucks and is not at all reliable, but there is condensation on the sides and top of my FC. I've also tried leaving the tub lid slightly ajar to allow for extra air exchange.

-Re-calibrate it, if it won't let you... atleast you can find out how much its off by doing this.

1-fill a water bottle cap with table salt
2- moisten the salt by adding  few droplets of water, its like a casing...you wan't the salt to be moist, not wet.
3-place the cap with moist salt in an airtight container or bag with your hygrometer, check on it in  3-4 hours and if it works correctly it should read 75% RH, if it doesn't youll atleast know how much its off and just compensate that in the future.

Once you figure out the RH check back and we'll take it on from there.

Should I wash my hands and pull off the excess mycelium?

-No.

when putting the BRF cakes into the fruiting chamber, should they be placed in the same position or turned upside down from the way they were in the jars?

- Upside down from how they were in the jars, Vermiculite layer on the bottom.

I've lowered the temps, experimented with more and/or less humidity, and always fan 3 to 4 times a day. I've misted and not-misted, but no difference.
I've also tried leaving the tub lid slightly ajar to allow for extra air exchange.

-All good Idea's but, they need a stable enviornment.

One more thing, the Pro's and Heroes and others who offer their advice and expertise on this site are AWESOME and more than generous with their time and help...with a special thanks to PW!

-Np. ^_^

PW

Kuan Yin

Thanks, PW!

I'll do that this weekend....what a cool idea!

have a great day!

-Kuan Yin

jrfungi

if you have too much MYC.....THAT IS A GREAT PROBLEM TO HAVE!!!! Good luck!!!