Fruiting Chamber(PICs)/Growing First time

Started by PyramidHead1128, March 20, 2009, 02:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PyramidHead1128

Hey,
Ive recently started trying to make a growing room and a fruiting chamber for growing mushrooms.  Im almost ready all im waiting for is the spores to be sent to me through the mail.

I got (5) 7.5oz jars and drilled four holes on the top lid.  Thid id what one of them looks like:

http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sany09228273162.jpg

I drilled holes in a storage tub as well. 

http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sany09218626260.jpg

While i was trying to do this i made a couple of cracks.  One big noticeable one on the bottom.  I wasn't sure how to take care of this so i tried super gluing the cracks.  I hope this is ok. 

http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sany09238336884.jpg

I put some super glue on the sides as well.
This is where i plan on growing everything and im just wondering what you guys think and if the super glue, or the cracks will effect the growing of the shrooms in the FC.

http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sany09248844111.jpg

Thanks for your help.  I hope im doing everything alright.

heartx

I'm just wondering how you will manage to keep the humidity level near 100% with all these holes drilled in there. And for the super glue, I think there are emanation for a couple of days or weeks, toxic ones, don't know if it will affect the grow...

psilocybin warrior

No one give this kid a loaded gun.  Get clear RTV silicone and patch 99% of those holes. Asking questions before you do something provides a higher success rate.

PW

shroomzer

Holy geeezus~!  Just go buy a new tub and start over.  yikes........

fattrout

count the holes... i have a total of 4 1/4'' holes, thats all you need..
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

decent tub = $10+$

RTV silicone = 2.50 + 12 hrs to dry

PW

shroomzer

<Asking questions before you do something provides a higher success rate.>

Couldn't be more true .. or like me .. I came on this site and did a lot - I mean ALOT of reading .. gave me what I needed and unlike the others here I only grow what I need for when I need them.  I don't need jars full stashed on a shelf for 'someday' .. I'm pretty much a lightweight but do have fun when the time is right!!

Fun Guy

Quote from: psilocybin warrior on March 20, 2009, 04:33:22 PM
No one give this kid a loaded gun.  Get clear RTV silicone and patch 99% of those holes. Asking questions before you do something provides a higher success rate.

PW

Is this not a shotgun fc?  I am just getting ready to build one myself.  Should i not drill holes on all six sides when I do mine?

shroomzer

See Trouts pic of his tub ... you don't need that many holes .. you'll never keep your RH at a high enough level to have good fruit.

sin2win

two different FC's, the shotgun does call for many holes hence the name... shotgun (looks like it got shot by a shotgun.) 
Fat's FC is a PMP, a bit different.

fattrout

you know, i was looking at your jars. if you are going to make BRF cakes. the top of the jars need to be wide so the cake will slide out..
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

Quote from: Fun Guy on March 21, 2009, 07:18:57 PM

PW

Is this not a shotgun fc?  I am just getting ready to build one myself.  Should i not drill holes on all six sides when I do mine?

- All 6 sides is optional, and preference.  If your trying to be a smartass, your doing a bad job.

PW

jrfungi

Make one like Fatt's....It is called a "poor man's pod"

http://www.shroomery.org/9047/Poor-Mans-Pod

This is the easiest to use and best FC I have fouhd for cakes and it is good for beginners.

Good luck on your grow!!!

Fun Guy

Quote from: psilocybin warrior on March 23, 2009, 03:25:38 PM
Quote from: Fun Guy on March 21, 2009, 07:18:57 PM

PW

- All 6 sides is optional, and preference.  If your trying to be a smartass, your doing a bad job.

PW

not trying to be a smartass at all.  from what i had learned it looked like a shotgun fc was the easiest possible way to build one that required no pumps or air hoses etc....  but if it is better to go with no holes and get an air pump i will as well.  I ask cause i havent drilled any holes yet.

psilocybin warrior

you can do a shotgun fc, but don't drill THAT many holes....maybe like half the amount he did then plug how ever many you need to maintain RH.

PW

room408

what would be the best for tray casings? humidifier and air pump combo? is that the most efficient fruiting chamber? im still just researching and asking questions anyones opinion is appreciated

grassy-ass

psilocybin warrior

Depends on size of the FC, I have an indoor GH and 2 huge bins.  I have 1 ultrasonic air-o-swiss for humidity for all 3 and a coolmist for FAE for all 3.

PW

room408

what is a GH? (there should be some kind of archive for all these freakin acronyms) and the cool mist is also a humidifier right? does that take care of the fresh air exchange because the fresh cool mist is balancing out the other humidifier?

psilocybin warrior

GH = Green House

Cool mist is a humidifier I use for FAE.

PW

PyramidHead1128

Well thanks for the help.
I noticed theres a bunch of ways of making a fruiting chamber and I was trying to follow the PF Tek version from the 4 part video on YouTube on Let's Grow Mushrooms.
Heres my next attempt at drilling the holes in another storage tub.  I went less crazy with the drill this time.

http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sany09749030305.jpg

If i can't get the humidity near 100% than im just gonna tape up the holes.  Im gonna use some perlite on the bottom.  I dont wanna go through getting an air pump and setting it up.
Other than this storage tub, im thinking that everything else is ok.  Is it.