Are these aborts, or moldy, or just tiny?

Started by crazyd, April 01, 2009, 02:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyd

I have 2 cakes, one of which gave me a few normal shrooms, but for the past week at least, nothing new has really grown.  All the "pins" and tiny shrooms have stayed the same and some started turning pretty blue.  Since they weren't doing anything, I picked them all off the cakes, lightly scrubbed the cakes under water, and am dunking them again.  My questions is what is your take on these?  Are they all aborts?  Are they rotten?  Or all they just horribly tiny?  Thanks!

crazyd

Forgot to note the scale of the photos.  Most of those are probably 1/4" long.

fattrout

not sure what you have there. they don't look rotten, they could be mutates. yeah dunk and roll the 2st flush should be better. make sure your RH and FAE are good.
but i think you should wait for the pros to weigh in...
fattrout

psilocybin warrior

I see a couple that shouldnt have been picked, right now I think your lacking FAE and RH since some of the caps are started to open which is a survival mechanism when they feel the correct parameters havn't been provided.  As long as they are not rotting, right now i dont see any that are, you could eat them.

PW

crazyd

Thanks PW.  I guess I will try to fan the fruiting chamber a few times a day even though there is constant air being pumped in through air stone under the water.  I don't have a humidity meter, but it must be close to 100% because there are always water dropplets on the sides of the chamber.

psilocybin warrior

A lot of water droplets take away from your RH, wipe the sides down when they start to collect.

PW

crazyd

Thanks PW...I would have never guessed that.  Do I need to buy a humidity gauge?  Or since I know that water collects on the sides can I just assume that the humidity is right?  And is there a difference b/w "relative humidity" and just "humidity?"  Do I need a special "relative humidity" gauge?  Sorry for my ignorance, but thanks for your help!

fattrout

- Do I need to buy a humidity gauge?
yes...
fattrout

crazyd

So I bought a humidity gauge and it was reading about 87, which is low, but not terrible I guess.  To try to make things better, I went and bought a more powerful air pump to force more air up through the water in my fruiting chamber and added a plexiglass cover which I drilled holes in.  We'll see how things go from here.  I'm thinking that my cakes were suffering from BOTH insufficient FAE and low humidity.

fattrout

great crazyd, you do need that RH to be 99+. it does make difference!!! make sure the top layer of your geolite isn't to wet. it's the drying of the geolite that makes the humidity... better sill get one of these. it's great for cakes. you hook it to your air pump. no more bubbler. and it's cheap...
http://www.4littlepets.com/humidifierandairexchangertropicair1.aspx 
fattrout

crazyd

YEAH, that thing is cool!  And my hydroton IS wet...the water line is very close to the top of the hydroton, so I'll go ahead and add some more hydroton to the top and keep the water well below it.

Thanks man,
crazyd

crazyd

so would I get that, hook it up to my air pump, place the wand in the chamber, but still have my cakes sitting on the hydroton and water bottom?  And I guess you still need some holes in the chamber for the air to escape from, correct?  I remember seeing those tubes in your pictures, now I know what they are!

fattrout

you got it, yes i still set my cakes on the hydroton. but you don't need to put water in the chamber. just spray the rocks how and then to keep them damp...
fattrout

crazyd

I couldn't find one of the humidifiers trout recommended at any local pet stores and I didn't want to wait for shipping, so I bought an ultrasonic fogger and placed it in the center of the chamber.  My humidity is still at 90, so I covered some of the holes I had in the lid to see if that would help raise it.  If that doesn't work, I'll post pics of what I've got and hopefully someone can tell me what I've got to change or fix.

fattrout

yeah, i had to order online. couldn't find one at any local pet stores... took about a week to get it...
fattrout