73 days, no full colonization

Started by jabwemet, March 30, 2009, 07:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabwemet

ok these cakes are pretty much stagnant.  i haven't noticed any growth at all for the last month.  they did great for the first 5 weeks.  all 6 jars are pretty fluffy and full but lack as little as a dime size of sparse coverage up to quarter size area of no coverage!  one of the jars is totally covered, but the bottom is still extremely thin as in this picture:

all of the bottoms look pretty much like that.  i flipped them about 4 weeks ago so that they would colonize the bottom but they all look like that- just a very fine layer covering the substrate.

i have tried lowering/raising the temperature.  the jars have stayed covered and in the dark except the minute or so every other day that i check on them.  what do i do?  some of the slower jars are starting to look kind of dry and yellowish around the edge of the colonizing mycelium.  they just don't seem to want to go that last little bit to full colonization. 

i hope you guys say "just wait longer", that works for me.  i just don't want them to die or anything.  how long can this go on before i just need to birth them and hope for the best?
...absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind...

psilocybin warrior

That looks ok to fruit, thats pf right? that yellow is known as piss...or mycelium waste.  With the cake still inside the jar, pour some water in their and rinse it out a couple times to get rid of the waste, once the waste is our fill the jar with water again and let it sit for atleast an hour or if you really wanna dunk it do 6-8hours then fruit it.  The uncovered spots should show new growth within a day or 2.

PW

fattrout

73 days is to long, contams are likely to set in soon. put up a pic of side view. i would take the best looking jar and  open it. if it smells like good fresh shrooms, birth it. i have had jars look like that on the bottom before. it looks ok to me...
fattrout

jabwemet

let me make sure i got this straight before i do it-

i take off the jar lids, then pour water in (can i use tap water or should i use distilled/spring water?).  then i rinse under a tap with the cake still in jar?  then pour water in and let soak for an hour.  then drain the water.  then let the jars sit and colonize for a few more days... or go ahead and birth them? 

maybe i'll go ahead and birth the one that is covered and see if the others can catch up?  here are some side pictures of the ones that have the farthest to go-

the other jars are like the last picture- they have one side with very sparse coverage that you can still see substrate through.  other than the pictures, every other part of all the jars are full, fluffy and looking good.

thanks for all the help, you guys are great.

fattrout

i just rinse with tap water to get of the off piss. then dunk (spring water) and roll in fine verm.. make sure that cake smells good.. i have had cakes like that 2nd one. with a spot that would not colonize. it turn out to be bad, smelled like very bad apples.
fattrout

jabwemet

so i can dunk even if there are spots that aren't fully colonized?  it seems like if i rinsed or dunked the cakes, and exposed substrate would just crumble away and fall apart... no?

psilocybin warrior

That is why you KEEP IT IN THE FUCKING JAR WHEN YOU RINSE IT OUT! RINSE>REPEAT>DUNK>BIRTH(IN THE SAME DAY)

PW

jabwemet

sin2win

Quote from: psilocybin warrior on March 30, 2009, 03:20:44 PM
That is why you KEEP IT IN THE FUCKING JAR WHEN YOU RINSE IT OUT! RINSE>REPEAT>DUNK>BIRTH(IN THE SAME DAY)

PW

What a fckin ASSHOLE... hahahhaha http://www.fungifun.org/forum/index.php?topic=1136.0 J/k Keep smoking to maaaainnntaaainn maaaaaannn!!!!

jabwemet

ok, i just rinsed the cakes and now they are dunking in their jars.  I'm going to let them sit for a couple hours.  The cakes all smelled really good and mushroomy!  yum yum yum.  They popped right out of the jars for rinsing and felt pretty solid.

I'm getting my FC ready now.  Since the cakes still have a little colonizing to do, I'm guessing that I should keep the FC in the dark and at a relatively high temp for another week or two.

I'll take some pictures when I birth these things.

psilocybin warrior

When you put them in the fc just fruit them how u would normally.

PW

jabwemet

ok all is well, i think

here is the FC while the cakes dunk

and with rolled cakes...

and here's a badly out of focus picture of one cake. 

thanks for all the help!

fattrout

lookin good man, make sure you keep that room nice and clean..
fattrout

sin2win

yup, i was also advised a while back to keep my fc's (monotubs, but same thing im guessing) a foot of the ground as most mold spores, bacteria, bad shit, etc. are most profound there.   :huh:  I keep mine a foot off just to be on the safe side, especially when its a carpeted room (or rug)

tdsoccer08

i innoculated my jars with the PES Hawiian on 3/20 and today is 4/2 and and only 5 of the 12 jars have started growing mycelium. is this a problem? i have my chamber set at 80 and my innoculation was sterile and done right. what can i do to fix this? i have a syringe of tasmanian would it hurt to try innoculating the jars that havnt started yet?

psilocybin warrior

wtf are u saying, start a new thread and maybe i can understand it
PW

shroomzer

Quote from: psilocybin warrior on March 30, 2009, 03:20:44 PM

PW

hahahahaaa......

jabwemet

so 2 days after birth, this little guy shows up:

the top is pretty dark, it's darker now than it was when i took that picture earlier today.  Is this an abort?  The funny thing is, this cake was way behind the other 5 when I birthed it- still had a quarter-size area with no colonization.