Cambo Here We Go

Started by Deadneck, April 03, 2009, 04:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadneck

So, I have my Cambodian strain being inoculated as we speak in a completely sterile research lab by my lovely girlfriend (who I'd trust with my life). I have a total of 11 half pint jars to start colonizing. I am going to do 6 cakes in a shotgun FC and then thinking about doing 5 cakes in a mono tub or vice versa (5 in a shotgun / 6 in a mono). I will make my final decisions before full colonization.

Anyways, the adventure has begun. I'll keep pics and posts of my progress.

Thanks to everyone for their productive/positive inputs about everything. Good people around here (most of the time).

Peace,
DN

tatortot33

Hey, I'm new and I was kind of wondering what an FC shotgun was and Monotub. Do you have a link to info on them. I don't mean to pester, just couldn't find it elsewhere

MT

Try the search function on this site. Plenty of info for your research.

Deadneck

Two of my jars. Looking good after only 5 days after inoculation. All 11 show myc growing. Sweet!

fattrout

looking good, if thats carpet thy are setting on move them. carpet is full of contams....
fattrout

tatortot33

Hey Fattrout, could you by chance post some pics of your combined teks? Or if you already have, post a link. Thanks!

fattrout

here some, it all about expierimenting and making changes as needed..

fattrout

fattrout

btw, don't pay attention to the wiring mess. i have cleaned it up since these pics..
fattrout

tatortot33

Ah, right on. That looks way cool.
Where do you buy that plexi glass lid or whatever is taped on top?
How loud are those humidifier and FAE you have been suggesting?
and is the tube thing by your hygrometer/thermometer the same as the one by your bottom left cake?
If so what's the difference if it's submergered under the hydroton or not?
Like in the Poor Man's Pod, the air stones are under but in yours they're not.
I know you said you combined the two teks. What's the ups and downs between them?
Or is it just personal preference? Sorry if my questions are annoying, feel free to not answer.
Just hungry for knowledge! =D Thanks for all your help regardless!

tatortot33

And sorry to be taking away from your thread Dread.
Major congrats on the success so far!

Deadneck

It's a black towel that I throw over the top of the incubator. I just used it as the back ground for the pic. It's sprayed downed with lysol on a regular basis........ should this be changed?

Baphom3t

You don't need to spray the towel down with lysol.

Baph

shroomzer

Quote from: Baph on April 09, 2009, 06:36:23 AM
You don't need to spray the towel down with lysol.

Baph

Ok .. so I am going to jump in here with a question .. I have always sprayed lysol around my lab, and in my house during times when I am sterilizing and PC cakes.  I have had good success with no contams .. however .. a couple months ago I "laxed" on the spaying so frequently with lysol AND I caught a cold. I know this sounds silly ... BUT during my next batch of cakes I did -  out of 8 jars I had 4 become contaminated.  I am thinking that because I didn't spray my lysol regularly and the fact I had a cold maybe thats why the contam.  I know you may get contam just because, but I'm wondering if the fact I was sick while doing it or not using the lysol as fequently may have helped. Maybe its just my lil' quirk but I still spray with lysol regularly .. I mean it doesn't hurt right?
And good job Dread.

Baphom3t

"I have always sprayed lysol around my lab, and in my house during times when I am sterilizing and PC cakes."

^^^That's a must.^^^

I am referring to the towel.
He is using the towel to cover the jars.
There is no need to spray the towel.

You had contam due to something not getting properly sterilized.
Contam can't be avoided.
Spraying to much lysol can hurt.
Lysol has been proven to mutate mushrooms and caue them to not grow.
Use it wisely and the problem will be solved :)

The only time I use lysol is to spray in the room that I innoc / transfer in.
I use isopropyl alcohol / or a bleach solution to sterilize the surfaces I work on.

Baph

shroomzer

TY Baph -  I use 99% alcohol (and have tried the bleach also) on the surfaces of my work counter as well.  And that also answers the other thing that was kind of bothering me because my shrooms have been on the rather small size.  Although I have read that even small they are ok .. I see pics of all these others that look to be a nice size with no mutation.  I do now think I may have gotten more mutations than I would like .. so I'll chill on the lysol a bit. 

Deadneck

Day number 10 of incubation/colonization, the first two pics are the same jars from above:

This is another good one.

This is my slowest jar:

Hygrometer/Thermometer:

All four together:

Later,
Deadneck

fattrout

hey there looking good. yeah theres always some jars that move slower. thats just the way it is with PF-tek jars...
fattrout

tatortot33

Those are wonderful! Definitely envious!