Agar cleaning process

Started by tenaglia, April 04, 2009, 01:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenaglia

How do you obtain a clean culture? I tried to select apparently clean mycelium to inoculate a new petri dish, but I always carry some pennicillium or something like that; should I bath the wedge in a peroxide solution? I thought It shouldn't be neccessary   :huh:

psilocybin warrior

Did you boil your potatos first? if not, boil them instead of the peroxide dip.

PW

tenaglia

I use ready made potato dextrose agar, I sterilize it for 20 minutes then I leave the fresh dishes in the incubator for 4-5 days to see if they are poured clean.

psilocybin warrior

Wait, I dont think I understand.... your not innocing them right after sterilization but waiting 4-5 days?

tenaglia

Right, I dissolve 39g potato-dextrose with 5g agar in one liter water, I adjust the ph, I sterilize it for 20 min, I pour it in 20 dishes, I wait a couple of days to see if I worked sterile enough, then I innoculate them :ph34r: If you do not wait, you have chance to innoculate a petri which isn't sterile anymore...

The biologist I work with told me to do so, he works with tissue-culture (orchids, meat-eaters, aquarium plants and much more)

psilocybin warrior

I've never bothered waiting whats steril is steril, maybe the waiting a few day's is allowing it to produce another kind of bacteria, its cool ur working with a biologist, however this is mycology not biology.

Pw