Great, another newbie!

Started by durazno, April 08, 2009, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

durazno

Hey there, first of all let me thank you for the help provided to me. Second, I know that most (if not all) of the info I'm asking is somewhere in this website, but I just can't seem to find the "right answers". SO, here are my first questions.

1. Can I innoculate and birth in the same room?
2. Can I innoculate 2 different strains at once in the same room?
3. What's the "best/fastest" way to incubate, how much light, temp, etc....
4. If I follow the "let's grow mushrooms" videos, I WILL BE SUCCESFUL?
5. When it comes to the fruiting chamber/terrarium, Whats the best way to keep humidified, and how much light per day?

PARDON my ignorance.

Deadneck

I can't answer all your questions, but I can point you in the right direction:
http://www.shroomery.org/4/Grow-Mushrooms

Check the FAQs and topics under Getting Started. There's a lot of good info on Shroomery.

Later,
DN

Fun Guy

1. yes

2. yes

3.  no light  80 degrees or less

4. yes

5. too complicated to answer keep looking

Baphom3t

"1. Can I innoculate and birth in the same room?
2. Can I innoculate 2 different strains at once in the same room?
3. What's the "best/fastest" way to incubate, how much light, temp, etc....
4. If I follow the "let's grow mushrooms" videos, I WILL BE SUCCESFUL?
5. When it comes to the fruiting chamber/terrarium, Whats the best way to keep humidified, and how much light per day?"

1. Yes you can Innoc and Birth in the same room.

2. Yes.

3. The best/fastest way is grains,but they all take about the same amount of time.As for temps, I keep mine at room temp with no additional heat. No light during incubation except to check on them.

4.Although the TEK you choose is important,it means nothing without proper sterility technique.
The PF TEK that is HERE will work just as good as the "let's grow mushrooms" vid.
Sterility is the key to this hobby.

5.That depends on the amount of space you have to grow.
Clear plastic tubs that you can purchase at walmart and perlite work well for FCs. You can even setup a humidifier to the tub but it's not really needed.
You can use a indoor greenhouse which will require a humidifier.
Ambient sunlight is all the light you need to grow mushrooms.

Baph

durazno

thank you fun guy and baph.

now, straight up what is the best way to set up the terrarium (enough for 12 1/2pint jars). Baph, you mentioned natural light is all you need but what about the amount of it? and what if I don't cant have exposed to natural light?

heartx

For the amount of light it depends on every person, I use sunlight so it's almost 12hours a day, others just have 4-8 hours. The light is just to tell them to grow and where to grow(to the top) so 4-8hours of light should be enough to make them grow.

durazno

WHAT about humidity?

Again, reading around the web there are tons of different options. Which one is the most feasible and succesful technique. PERLITE, the other "perlite" like product, humifiders, etc....

heartx

It depends on the cash you have, PW have a 500$ humidifier system , but I don't think you would want to begin with that! I use perlite and it's working great for me, having no problem keeping it at 99%+ but I have a small fruiting chamber, and perlite is cheap to buy if your low budget. Others will help you with there own technique, I'm still a beginner at this too=P

durazno

thanks heartx,

How many holes do you have in your terrarium? some videos around the web suggest A LOT of holes. this doesnt make much sense to me. I figured 2 up top and 2 at the bottom will be sufficient?

Whats the difference between perlite and hydroton?

heartx

I'm a low budget so my terrarium is a real terrarium I had for my lizard so it's glass and I don't want to drill holes in it. I just fan it everyday 4-5 time a day to take all the CO2 out. Difference between perlite and Hydroton, perlite is cheaper but it make a little dust, and hydroton can be use alot more longer than perlite. Almost an infinite number of time.

Baphom3t

heartx is correct.

I don't use perlite.
I don't use a terraium.
I use a indoor greenhouse and a ultrasonic humidifier.
If your FC is in a room with curtains to outside,just open up the curtains and thats all the light they need.

A good cheap terraium is the clear tubs you can find at walmart or just about any retail shop. They come in many sizes.

Baph

durazno

what is the process with hydroton, is it the same as with perlite? Just add water and let it sit in the FC? , if im wrong can someone place a link of the proper way to use the hydroton.

ALWAYS, THANKS

psilocybin warrior

I don't use hydroten either, I know some of the members have hydroten with airpump's connected to air stones with a little bit of water underneath the hydroten.  Maybe they can give you some clear idea's and info.

PW

tatortot33

durazno, check out this link - http://www.shroomery.org/9047/Poor-Mans-Pod
That's what i've seen to be as one of the most basic setups for using hydroton. (and most affordable)

Azurascender

1. Yes you can Innoc and Birth in the same room.

2. Yes.

3. The best/fastest way is grains,but they all take about the same amount of time.As for temps, I keep mine at room temp with no additional heat. No light during incubation except to check on them.

4.Although the TEK you choose is important,it means nothing without proper sterility technique.
The PF TEK that is HERE will work just as good as the "let's grow mushrooms" vid.
Sterility is the key to this hobby.

5.That depends on the amount of space you have to grow.
Clear plastic tubs that you can purchase at walmart and perlite work well for FCs. You can even setup a humidifier to the tub but it's not really needed.
You can use a indoor greenhouse which will require a humidifier.
Ambient sunlight is all the light you need to grow mushrooms.

Baph

-WORD
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....