Water under my tinfoil

Started by tatortot33, April 14, 2009, 03:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatortot33

I think that there was a little bit of water on the top of my jar lid like in the middle of the 4 drilled holes I used for inoculation when I put the tin foil back on top. Would that raise my chance of contams or will it probably sink back into the jars on to the dry verm and be fine? I'm probably just being paranoid but I figured I'd ask to make sure. Thanks guys!

fattrout

wait i don't understand, when you inoculated your jars there was water on top of the jars? you should have used a cotton ball with alcohol or something like that to clean the jar top. just before you inoculate..
fattrout

tatortot33

Well i used like a little sterile gauze pad with alcohol and wiped the top but it seemed like there was some water and alcohol on the top, not a lot but a little bit. I dunno. Maybe it was a stupid question lol. Sorry =(

fattrout

yeah maybe, lol.  this is what i do, when remove my jars from the PC. i remove the tinfoil wipe the jars down and cover the holes with medical tape...
fattrout

tatortot33

Ok, ya, i totally forgot about medical tape. I'll do that for sure next time, thanks!

Beauty Seeker

wait, so you cover the holes AFTER sterilization? In the "Let's grow shrooms" video I thought he covered them before. Or maybe you do it twice? But don't the mycelium need air to grow?

heartx

The myc don't need air to grow in the jar, it need it in the fc after.

MT

I put the micropore tape over the holes in my jars and then cover them with foil before I sterilize my jars and have had good success so far ( probably 100 jars up until now ).