shotgun fc not a reality?

Started by Fun Guy, April 14, 2009, 05:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun Guy

so I have not hit any bumps in the road so far as I have 12 jars great myc growth and no contams.  two weeks in and I am about a week and a half away from the fc. So I thought I better build my shotgun fc today to make sure that it is gonna work.  I have done overresearch on everything including this, and I followed directions to a tee.  But the rh level is between 85-90.  this is obv not gonna work.  Am I missing something or do I just need to go to the petco and get some air pumps and a new bin.  I knew a shotgun fc was to easy to be true.

psilocybin warrior

Cover up some holes with lil square peices of duct tape until you reach 100.

PW

MT

PW is right on. My first attempt at a shotgun FC had way too many holes in it. After I taped up most of them I was able to increase the RH to a suitable level.

fattrout

yep, cover some holes and make sure you do not have to much water. the water needs to be able to evaporate...
fattrout

Fun Guy

there is no standing water, the perlite was rinsed and thoroughly soaked but drained.  it feels almost dry to the touch now but i know still has water trapped in it.  will update when i have time to fix some holes. 

Deadneck

QuoteCover up some holes with lil square peices of duct tape until you reach 100.

Would filling the holes with polyfill work the same as duct tape?

MT

Polyfill would still allow too much outside environment to seep in and defeat the purpose of sealing off the holes IMO.

Deadneck

Fun Guy

what should properly hydrated perlite feel like.  wet to touch or almost dry.  I think I let it dry out because too many holes.  I have taped up like 60%-70% of them and rewet the perlite.  will post results.  I however did not tape any of the bottom holes because i surmised that the airflow threw the perlite is the most important.  am i right or should i tape up most of these as well?

MT

I would tape up all of them. You only need a few on the sides near the top. Or you could monitor your RH and just keep covering holes until you get the reading you want on your gage.