germination slow downs?

Started by OpenEye, December 17, 2004, 04:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OpenEye

hey there's a few things i was wondering about, i hope yall can help me.
its been 2 weeks sence i inoculated my jars(only 4) and ive spoted minimal growth in only sertain areas of the jars.  there are no other colored growths taking place, i opened the worst looking jar and smelt it, it was somewhat sweet/sour. i thought perhaps my jars dryed out and thats why the growth hasnt been spreading, but upon examination of the one jar i saw that it had plenty of moisture left. there was no evidence of any groth of anything through out the jar exept in the one area where i had thought perhaps the germination had started. even though i couldnt see anything i could still smell "something". do you think the jar was contaminated, or perhaps all of them are and thats why the little bit of growth i have spotted in the jars hasnt started to spread yet? or i thought perhaps my syringe wasnt "packed" with spores and it only had enough to start a little growth in sertain areas. and if this is the case, i was wondering, if only a little growth starts, given enough time will it spread and take over the entyer jar anyway? or do you have to have good growth starting on all 4 sides... or does it just go extreeemly slow for the first 2 weeks then extreemly fast in the next few...?

ty forr your help  :blink:

anno

Sweet sour is deffinitely contaminated, bacteria. This indicates insufficient sterilization.
How did you sterilize it?

It won't colonize to the end, you will have to start anew.

OpenEye

i unfortunetly didnt have a pressure cooker so i sterilized my jars in a pot&water. i was wondering if my other jars, if they are still sterile, and the growth has begun in only one area of the jar if that growth will continue to grow untel the jar is completly done? or does there have to be sufficient growth on all 4 sides of the jar? the little growth that there is hasnt spread or done much sence its shown up, what could this slow down in growth meen?

thanks for the help  :blink:

anno

>i unfortunetly didnt have a pressure cooker so i sterilized my jars in a pot&water.

For how long? You should have  for 90 minutes.
If even this doesn't help, perhaps you should look into the fractional sterilization
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23372

>i was wondering if my other jars,  that growth will continue to grow untel the jar is completly done?

As long the jar is not contaminated, it will continue, yes. It just takes longer, since the mycelium has to grow a longer path.

OpenEye

i boiled my jars for 2 hours to make sure they would be steril... ill have to save up for a pressure cooker someday. im glad to hear that the growth will continue to grow, ill cross my fingers and hope that the growth in the other jars arnt contaminated. does the slow down in growth perhaps meen that it is infact contaminated and my growth is dead? or would the bit of growth that has shown up thus far turn black or disapear or anything if that were the case?

ty  :D

anno

What kind of a lid do you have on your jars? If they have too little air exchange, the growth can stall too.

OpenEye

i have the disk and rim type of jar lids, ive noticed that in the remaining jars i have that there are black spots where the white mycelen had started to grow next to the glass. im guessing they are dead... what do you think? open and check them/throw them out, or just keep watching to see what happens?

OpenEye

i opened all my jars, they were contaminated... better luck next time i guess..