innoculation chamber: a must?

Started by Beauty Seeker, April 15, 2009, 02:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beauty Seeker

Hi, i was wondering if the innoculation chamber was absolutely necessary? Did anyone ever tried to innoculate in room air and notice any significant difference?
I'm doubtful to the efficiency of most systems i see on the net. I mean, most of the ICs I see are fully opened on one side and I don't get how contaminates are staying out of these.
If you flame sterilize and alcohol sterilize your needle, gloves and the caps of your jars, you should be ok, no?

tatortot33

It's not necessary but it certainly helps. It's definitely worth taking the time to set up, I mean better safe than sorry. The ICs are often open on one side because the inside is cleaned and they spray the room with lysol to get most of the bacteria out of the air. It's more of a precaution than anything. You can make a glove box for like 5 dollars if you'd like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-wEPM1wpZQ&feature=related 1:15

heartx

I don't have an IC and nothing bad happened to this day, I hope contamination will stay away from me for awhile=P

MT

You can easily make a glove box for a small amount of money using a plastic storage bin that has two holes cut into it for your hands. I have had very good luck with mine and I don't have to worry about finding a small sterile environment in my home to work in. I use the kitchen counter area of my home sprayed with 91% alcohol in the general area. And also inside of the glove box.

lostcause1138

i've never used an IC, and never had any significant probs

psilocybin warrior

Not Necessary, if your really THAT worried buy a can of surface&air Oust.

PW

Fun Guy

I did mine open air two weeks ago after lysol and oust every ten minutes for a half hour with ac turned off so no air movement.  I have no contams and great myc growth.