Burnt Foil while Boiling

Started by PyramidHead1128, April 16, 2009, 12:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PyramidHead1128

I just started my Mushroom cultivation process and boiled the jars today.  I did not use a pressure cooker and just boiled them in water for an hour and a half.
I used rocks on the bottom so the jars would not crack or break.
This is my first time doing this so I did not know if what I did was right.  I saw much bubbles and water splashing up over and on top of the jars. 
I was unsure what to do so I took some water out because some of the foil on the jars were burnt brown.

http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sany10685283326.jpg

I continued on with this because I really couldn't do much.  I left the water level down pretty low though, until the water touched the bottom of the jars.
I'm waiting for them to cool now, so I just wanted to know if what I did was OK.  Thanks.

Azurascender

It sounds to me that if there is water splashing up over the ars that you may have filled the water level too high in your pot. Generally the water level is supposed to be about an inch high when all of the jars are in the pot. I have never heard of rocks being put in the bottom of the pot but I guess I don't see how that wouldn't work. Wait a couple of days before you inoculate the jars so you can see if there are any flaws in your sterilization process. Check for mold after a couple of days, if yer clean, go ahead and shoot up your jars.
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....