About to birth my girls :)

Started by Sporetica, April 21, 2009, 05:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sporetica

So my cakes are a few days from being ready to be birthed. I have heard and read SO many different ways to do this. I want to do the dunk and roll method. So my question is this: Do I soak the cake right after I birth it? If so I know it is for roughly 12-24 hours. What kindof water? I have heard that tap is fine and then others say distilled water and others say spring water. (please make up your minds!! :) Then I roll it in fine verm and then put in the FC.

What is the best and most effective/efficient way to do this?

Thanks
<3
*~Alea~*

shroomzer

Its a matter of personal preferance but I find that using spring water produces best for me.  I have used tap water and distilled water and went back to spring water. I believe it is the minerals in the spring water that the fungus feeds on because they get nutrients out of the minerals. Tap water has chlorine in it and distilled water has nothing in it, so for me its spring water.

Sporetica

Okay awesome, thank you. How long do I wait after I birth them to dunk them? Also do you recommend rolling them in verm for the first flush? I have heard to wait til the second one for te verm but who knows...
<3
*~Alea~*

MT

I always roll my cakes in verm after I dunk them the first time, wait about an hour afterwards and mist them with water.

shroomzer

I dunk immediately after removing from the jar, for about 12-18 hours and then roll and put into the FC and wait about an hour then give a fine mist spray. After first flush I dunk for 6 hours and then roll lightly in fine verm.   Same procedure, back into FC and misty spray.  And third flush do the same thing as the second flush and thats about it for that.

fattrout

yeah spring water, and if you can find natural spring water right out of the spring its even better.. but all water will work.. its the minerals in the water.
fattrout

Sporetica

Cool Cool... Do I only mist them that once? I have my terrarium set up as follows:

A rubbermaid container that has 10 small holes drilled. 3 along each long side and 2 on the wide sides. They are drilled 3 1/2 inches above the bottom of the container. The perlite only comes about 2 1/2 inches above the bottom. So therefore there is a 1 inch space between the top of the perlite and the holes. The holes are to help keep CO2 low.

I know to fan them 3 times a day or so for air exchange. I have heard to spray them anywhere from 3-5 times a day and others say that its not necessary..Which is best?
<3
*~Alea~*

fattrout

again its one of those preference things. whatever works for you..
fattrout

coyoteyogi

:mellow:  There is wiggle room in all these techniques that will allow you to enjoy a healthy flush. There is no single, right, God-given path to the best of all worlds. If you want to know what will work best in the FC then get a RH (relative humidity) digital instrument. That will give you accurate information about the environment you've created and you can experiment with ways to keep that environment ideal. As long as you keep everything clean and you have fully colonized cakes and  you follow a TEK_ you will get mushrooms. Besides, who are we kidding, since these are your babies you will be checking on them every chance you've got. That's why an FC with a clear top is nice, you can check without disturbing anything. Take some pics. Have fun.

Fun Guy

sounds like you have everything under control.  just keep rh up and watch the show. congrats.

shroomzer

Heehee .. I have finally learned NOT to check my fruits every 5 minutes ... LOL.  Now its every 10 .. j/k.

MT

Yeah, it's really hard to leave them alone at first.

cugak

Its not so hard not to check on them! I just have my fc next to my bed and desk! :wacko:
share international

cugak

So i check on them all di time! ha ha, im just trippin, he he
share international

shroomzer

Quote from: cugak on April 23, 2009, 12:47:49 PM
Its not so hard not to check on them! I just have my fc next to my bed and desk! :wacko:
HAHAHA ... and you don't sleep~!  lol

Baphom3t

8 hours is plenty of time for dunking.
I use spring or distilled water for dunking my trays.
Holes in your tub is not needed.
Just fan them manually 3 - 5 times a day or buy a pc fan to hook up as F.A.E.

Baph