Double innoculation?

Started by Beauty Seeker, April 26, 2009, 11:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beauty Seeker

Hi,

I came with this crazy idea today that maybe I could innoculate the same cake with two different strains. I'm curious to see if it would work or if one strain would colonize the food of the other, if they would fight for food, thus becoming stronger (or weaker) or if they'd cohabitate or just kill each other.
Has any of you ever tried that? I'm going to innoculate a jar (haven't decided yet if it'd be a pint, 1/2 or 1/4 pint), each half with a different strain.
I'll tell you how it evolves.

heartx

One of the two will grow and the other won't.

psilocybin warrior

Sorry, you cant genetically cross 2 strains that easliy.  Otherwise there would be a billion strains.

pw

Fun Guy

nothing wrong with trying something new but unfortunately this has been tried before and will not work.  the reality is now you wont know which strain is growing lol. 

Beauty Seeker

I wasn't so much expecting to cross the 2 strains than to have a cake that would fruit both but apparently, it won't work...
Hopefully I only used a 1/4 pint and not too much of my spore solution to try that so I don't feel like it's a waste.
Plus the idea sounded fun and I had fun doing it so it's definitely not a waste ;)

jrfungi

Beauty Seeker

Huh...  :huh: What is LC? Light Chamber? Low Combustion? Laser Cambodians?

coyoteyogi

:mellow: All of the above, as well as Liquid Culture.

veda_sticks

Quote from: Fun Guy on April 27, 2009, 02:29:13 AM
nothing wrong with trying something new but unfortunately this has been tried before and will not work.  the reality is now you wont know which strain is growing lol.

Incorrect.

2 strains of the same species will infact mate more easily than you think. Ive seen cultures of 2 different strains on agair join and produce a third sector. While there may be more chance of it not happening than if it were the same strain, to say that it just wont happen is wrong.

Try it and see what happens. Theyw ont fight, one wont fight over the other. all that will happen, is if they are compatible, they will join and form a single organism, in the event of incompatible ginetics, they wills imple grow side by side and not have the full benifit of the substrate.

You could get 2 different shrooms growing on the same substrate (that an even happen with a single strain from multispore inoculation) you could get something different, or 1 or the other.

crossing 2 different species is a different matter.

pianoman

you should listen to veda sticks she knows her shit

veda_sticks

she is a he.

I plan on trying this soon myself.

I would do it on agar if i had the time to didicate myself to that kind of work, but for now i can only keep it simple due to circimstances.