fc question

Started by Ironhead, April 27, 2009, 05:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhead

ok hope i dont ask a dumb q but cant i use a large tote with 3ish inches of perlite on bottom covering a air stone,with a 1/2 inch of water on bottom.and 4 holes just above the perlite. with the cover left on and the air stone running the air is exiting the 4 small holes. this is where the bad air is right? will this provied enough fae. just getting the bugs worked out,my humidity is at 97% it looks good. but I'm a newb

fattrout

sounds like it will work.. just do it, and make adjuetments as needed.
fattrout

Ironhead

thanks fattrout dont u keep your buble wands out of the perlite.

fattrout

yes, but its albout personal preference. you just have to see what work for you..
fattrout

Fun Guy

sounds like that will work fine.  I have mine setup with two bubble wands under the perlite and i splurged for a tropic air humidifier as well on fattrouts recommendation.  was like 18 dollars on ebay.  probably over kill but i want huge shroooms!!!! good luck.

sawkaos

bet you would like a spud in it Bitch!

sawkaos

oh that's going out to ironhead better yet aka, aluminum head.........

shroomzer

Quote from: sawkaos on May 03, 2009, 01:11:43 PM
bet you would like a spud in it Bitch!

Where the hell did that come from?  LOL

Ironhead

what? a spudwrench is a tool i use  at work,so to be polite fuck you :wub:just went back and read all your last posts  your the aluminium head! fuck face.

MT

veda_sticks

thats a terrible idea for a fruiting chamber, it may work ok it may not. But its not going to get the best out of your substrate. most air pumps wont deliver the required amount of fresh air exchange, which is exchanging inside your terrarium complelty once per hour.

Also, perlite swimming in water does nothing for humidity. You only wont your perlite moist, the moisture is held on the surface in all the nooks and cranies which is readily availible to be evaported into the air. 3-5 inches and rough the surface up to increase its surface area.

The best simple effective design IMO is the shotgun fruiting chamber, which was design by RogerRabbit and based on sound science.

Take your fruiting chamber, drill 1/4 inch holes on every side including the top and bottom, holes spaced 2-3 inches apart. then raise your terrarium with cups shotglasses etc so that the bottom holes get air. That will maintain high humidity and give natural fresh air exchange. Just mist then fan your terrarium a few times per day, recomended 4-5. And give your cakes indirect sunlight or bright flurescent light in the daylight range (6000K-7000k)

Ironhead

veda thanks for your input your a genius < it may work or it may not > wow great insight . i can assure you it work great. i know have more shrooms than i thought i would get from cakes.yes wet perlight in a tote creates humidity tell me genius how can it not? a little peroxide to keep water fresh,two fish air pumps,fan with lid twice a day after i mist and harvest as they come. o i just open the drapes for inderect sun light. i have seen to many people not able to get the shotgun to work.but maybe you sell tape for a living?

veda_sticks

I said it may or may not work, because youd have to test it out first. great that its working for you, 

However, i still stand by my statement that perlite that swims in water does nothing for humidity. You need the moisture to be held ina ll the liitle nooks and crannies so its availible to be evaporated into the air as its drawn trhough the perlite. If your perlite is under water, its not going to get exposed to air.

Im talking from experience, and experince of many others. Build a shotgun properly and it works. Ive even seen edibles grow in a shotgun terrarium with the lid of for better FAE.

No i dont sell tape for a living. Im actually a sound technition. I make gigs happen. But thats of topic.

Again i say i did not say that it wont work, IMO opinion it didnt sound like a great fruiting chamber, but its working for you so thats fine.

The shotgun fruiting chamber is built upon sound science. Unlike alot of other fruiting chamber designes (which im not knocking as i have seen other designs work well). All the holes not only serve for FAE but actually aid on humidity. Air naturaly travels from areas of high pressure to low pressure. When you put cakes in a terrarium and with light from above, the slight pressure gradient created by the heat is enough to allow air to travel upward, it gets drawn trough the bottom holes and wicks moisture in the air as it filteres trhough  the perlite.

I dont understand how people could not get it to work. Ive seen many people complain about low humidity, when infact they were using a digtal guage, or an improperly calibrated hygrometer.

Or, the decided the bottom holes wernt important, drilled there holes too large.

Thanks for the warm welcome, i could always go back to the 2 other mushroom cultvation sites that appreciate my advice more than you do.

As with anyones advie, you can take it or leave it.

Everyone has there own experiences and opinions.

shroomzer

You have to experiment to what ever works right for you.  Some can do cakes, or casing, or tub or whatevers .. you do, you learn, you get or you don't get.  It's a try try again thing and once you have it down, use what works for you.  Just because he said it "may or may not work" isn't something that he should have to justify saying.  It's a fact.

veda_sticks

I always have the opinion that you should stick to methods that have been tried tested and proven to work consistantly until you have an understanding on the workings.

Its good its working for you, however h202 isnt nessesary if you jsut get rid of the standing water, and i doubt hydrating perlite with h202 will have much effect, sure its great at killing bacteria at 3% but dilute it with water it becomes less effective, plus it breaks down fairly quickly into water and oxygen.

Best line of defense, no standing water, and plenty of FAE.

I have also been a great fan of

KISS

Its working for you so theres no need to go radicaly changing things. Just my opinion

fattrout

yes i'm with VEDA. KISS is the best way. but its always fun to experiment...
fattrout

Davie K

sry guys but Kiss? and FAE?  please

heartx

fae is Freash Air Exchange has for Kiss well, It's a rock band lol

shroomzer

KISS .. yep rock n' roll alright .. here it might mean ...
Keep It Simple Stupid!

malabar

All of you are a trip!  I will side with Shroomzer,....  KISS is Rock n' Roll, but read the msg and go with what you know.   And there is nothing wrong with experimenting.  That's how we all got started in the game.  By someone Else's trials and errors.
   Can't we all just get along?? 
  Later.   :ph34r:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!