Coir

Started by jrfungi, May 05, 2009, 07:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrfungi

I visited my local Hydro Supply store today and they have a new kind of Coir called Coco Coir Chips. It looks more like chunks of mulch instead of the regular fine grade coir. Has anyone ever used this with good reults?

JR

sin2win

hmmm, no not me.  i have enough coir to last me ages (meaning weeks haha)
intrested to c what this is tho.

coyoteyogi

Not sure what the advantage might be when growing on a small scale in a fruiting chamber. The coir is there to keep the myc nice and moist without being submerged in water. Maybe it is a little easier to handle as chunks, I don't think it will make any difference "operationally". Let us know if you give it a try.

sin2win

-the coir is also there to give the myc something to munch on (nutes) ;)

psilocybin warrior

sins right, plus its easier to tell when its low on water because it changes color.

PW

coyoteyogi

Okay thank you. Do you sterilize the coir when using it as a casing or fresh out of the bag?

Baphom3t

Get it to field capacity, place it in a microwavable bowl and nuke it for about 9 mins then close it up and let it cool then use it.

Baph

coyoteyogi

sin2win

when using it for bulk, u have to pasturize it.  Let me know if u need a tek on that.

Baphom3t

I gave him the directions for pasturizing.

Whether it's for casing or bulk sub it is the same process. ;)

Baph

jrfungi

Well i made two tubs at the same time. The "chip coir" seems to be colonizing faster. i will follow up with some pics and fruiting results. They are both a Meza clone with pop corn. Damn i wish this darn quart of LC Meza would hurry up and get empty, same strain blues!!!

JR