Wha'd i do?

Started by Davie K, May 15, 2009, 01:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I inoculated some rye seed jars, as well as some vermerculite gars... the Verk jars are all starting to colonate tho my rye seed jars havnt shown any growth.

what are option bars?
0 (0%)
1st timer on the site
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Davie K

I used a boiling pot, used for steaming clams..  it keeps the jars out of the water and steams them pretty good.  is the pressure cooker nessisary?

psilocybin warrior

For grains it is, hence why its stressed to use a PC so much.

PW

veda_sticks

Quote from: Davie K on May 15, 2009, 01:07:55 PM
I used a boiling pot, used for steaming clams..  it keeps the jars out of the water and steams them pretty good.  is the pressure cooker nessisary?

For PF tek (brown rice flour, vermiculite and water) no you can steam your jars. For grains you need a prssure cooker.

Make sure that when you steam, you start timing from when steam starts escaping the lid not when it starts to boil. It will take time from when the it starts to boil for the surface of that jars to reach 100C. 90 minutes after steam escapes the lid, which is usualyt around 30 minutes after hoiling.

Make sure to turn down your stove to maintain a boil so that you dont boil your pot dry.

pianoman

listen to veda sticks

fattrout

if you plan on get into this hobby for the long term, get a pressure cooker... steaming and boiling are fine for PF jars. IMO the PC makes life easy.
fattrout

veda_sticks

Quote from: fattrout on May 22, 2009, 02:47:25 PM
if you plan on get into this hobby for the long term, get a pressure cooker... steaming and boiling are fine for PF jars. IMO the PC makes life easy.

I agree complelty, i used to have a 5 litre pressure cooker and i was doing pf cakes. Less risk of running your pot dry and you can just leave it do its thing for an hour - being in the next room ofcoarse - never leave a presure cooker unattending ie dont go out to the shops, just incase.

I found that with steaming, especialy if your lid doesnt fit  too well you have to check on it every 20 minutes incase you have to refill. its a pain having to refil 3-4 times in 2 hours. If you have a decent pot, you shouldnt have to refil though.

Im kicking myself for not taking my pressure cooker when i had to move.

Davie K

Bought the pressure cooker, i started over on the grains but used the same grains that didnt produce shit the first time... except one jar that was covered in mycilium.. i dont know why only one jar took if all the other 11 didnt.. but i used the same grain an simmered it first then pressure cooked it.. so the grain should be plenty expanded by now.  then i crumbled up a fully cake to try to coninate my jars..   Should be fine?

Davie K

Checked my grain jars 2day, its been 3or 4 sence i've crumbled the cakes into them, they are looking great, showing new growth faster than i expected.  maybe because the grain sat for so long after the boiling pot, the break down of the nutriants is more rapid.  Idk, so puff puff an we'll see wha happends