not too bad?

Started by jrfungi, May 13, 2009, 08:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrfungi

MS inocc. Equador in a tub. Not the most even pin set but the flush might be huge. Looks like some nice sized fruits to come. Popcorn with a coir/verm 60-40. I will follow up later.

JR

thedutch

wow, looks like you're going to harvest lots :mellow:

coyoteyogi

I'm curious. Why no casing layer? They certainly look happy regardless. Great grow.

dan

Nice grow.... Is that cotton in your fc? will that bring up your humidity?

jrfungi

I'm curious. Why no casing layer? They certainly look happy regardless. Great grow

--- I guess as a NEWBIE  I started doing tubs the wrong way and I have had great results. I am just now starting to do them the correct way (casing). So to answer your question it was a mix of the dumb ass and the good results swayed me to stay hard headed.

Is that cotton in your fc? will that bring up your humidity? 

---- It is Polyfil and is used to allow FAE and keep out contams. Cotton is not recommended.

sin2win

i dont case my monos (bulk) with good results.
sometimes i do the wax paper thing to get a nice pinset.... when im not lazy lol

jrfungi

Well that is good to know.... i have 3 tibs going now and they are spawned correctly and tonight i cased them... I will see what happens???

Thanks for the input sin!!!

coyoteyogi

Hey Jr. sounds great. Post photos.

jrfungi

just before harvest....actuall already pulled about 2 OZs (you can see the bare spots on the left and the bottom).... ENJOY

veda_sticks

Very nice work, however there are a few incorrect statements in this thread.

QuoteI am just now starting to do them the correct way (casing)

Casing is optional with cubensis, either way works, neither is wrong, or right. Some argue it improves performacne, others say they dont notice much difference. Ive seen both cased and uncased do great. The only benifit that i see is an extra moisture reserve, which would explain why you seem to see larger mushrooms form cased substrates, however the yeild is usually around the same if fruiting conditiosn are good. Its good practive however if you decide to move onto species that do require a casing layer.

QuoteIt is Polyfil and is used to allow FAE and keep out contams. Cotton is not recommended.

Polyfill will filter out contaminants, however that is not why its used, since fruiting chambers do not need to be sterile. Fully colinised substrate is pretty resistant to contamination. Polyfill will allow FAE to some extent and will help maintain  RH, Because the holes are so large, leaving them open wouold just let out all the moisture.

You can infact do away with the polyfill complelty, and instead drill smaller holes, 1/8th" or1/4" along the substrate leve and just micropore tape/tyvek during the spawn run. Ive seen quite a few people use monotubs with no polyfill and didnt experience contamination.