Some questions...

Started by spiralout, May 17, 2009, 04:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiralout

1)  When you have jars that don't fully colonize and stall out, is there anything that can be done to kick start them?  Can they be moved to a fruiting chamber at only 50% colonization and still result in a few mushrooms, or is that a waste of time?

2)  If the fruiting chamber was cleaned pretty well before being put into use, is there any risk in mushrooms that grow out and end up hitting the walls?  Is there a risk of contamination or drowning from the condensation on the wall?

3)  Do all of the mushrooms tend to mature at the exact same rate and open at the same time or are there usually a few "fast growers" that have their caps open earlier?  Do you harvest the early ones individually or just let them sit in the chamber until the other mushrooms are ready?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

psilocybin warrior

1)  When you have jars that don't fully colonize and stall out, is there anything that can be done to kick start them?  Can they be moved to a fruiting chamber at only 50% colonization and still result in a few mushrooms, or is that a waste of time?

> You could try crumbling them into a baggie and let them re-colonize, or shake the jars up. If you wanted to fruit them I would reccommend crumbling & then casing.

2)  If the fruiting chamber was cleaned pretty well before being put into use, is there any risk in mushrooms that grow out and end up hitting the walls?  Is there a risk of contamination or drowning from the condensation on the wall?

>No risks if it is clean, though if they touch the side they can absorb some excess water in the cap and it might look a little gelly. Other than that theres no actual problems.

3)  Do all of the mushrooms tend to mature at the exact same rate and open at the same time or are there usually a few "fast growers" that have their caps open earlier?  Do you harvest the early ones individually or just let them sit in the chamber until the other mushrooms are ready?

>Depends if you are using spores, a LC, or a cloned LC. Usually they mature around the same time but late bloomers do exist,  theres nothing wrong with picking them before the veil breaks. I always pick them all at the same time no matter what, then patch+rehydrate and wait for the next flush.

Your welcome,

PW

spiralout

Here's a picture of the yield from the first cake to be harvested.  They all looked good when they were picked, but now some of the ones that were running along the substrate have had the lower parts of the stalk turn blue-green.  They still smell like mushrooms should smell, not like they are rotten.  Is this just really bad bruising?

http://www.upload.mn/view/6kt3v0nv6qf8nbmxz96s.jpg

MT

Looks like heavy bruising to me. Be gentle with em and they will treat you kindly also.

spiralout

Thanks!  I tried to be delicate when I picked them, but it appears that I don't have much of a gentle touch.

After 24 hours drying on a fan I moved them to a sealed box with some dessicant to further dry them out.  After another 12 hours in there I opened it up to check on them.  They were relatively odorless before, but now they smell like chocolate or cocoa.  What's up with that?

I moved them back to the fan...

psilocybin warrior

Lol, I can't explain that. Unless your into snorting coco beans.

PW

veda_sticks

Quote from: spiralout on May 17, 2009, 04:00:12 PM

Thanks to anyone that can help!

stalled jars can be birthed, but you must remove the uncolinised substrate otherwise it willc ontaminate. Best find out why first, as it culd be somethning silly like not allowing gas exchange (leaving the foil over your inoc hoels). Overlay wet substrate will slow and possibly stall, and using pint jars will too

Mushrooms are phototropic, they will grow toward light (plus its a pinning trigger, daylight range 6000-7000k) as long as your cakes are not to lose to the walls and ou have lighting abvoe, they shouldnt hit the wals. Contgamination isnt a concern during fruitn as long as  your providing enough FAE. A clean fruiting chamber is however a good idea. if a mushroom hits the wall and your worried about it getting wet, move the cake. yu dont want it to stay wet for long as that will encourage bacteria to grow and can cause bacterial blotch.

No, when working from multispore you wont get fruits that pop up at the same time and mature at the same time.You will likely get different sized, different looking fruits that will mature at different times. You would need an isolate for those kind of results. Also potency will vary from fruit to fruit and even flush to flush when working from spores. Just pick as each is ready.

If you get a cluster with a mature mushroom, and smaller ones that arnt ready, simply cut the larger shroom with sterilised knife so the smaller ones can catch up