PF-Tek Cakes

Started by NB311, May 20, 2009, 03:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NB311

I have a few PF-Tek cakes incubating right now in the taller slimmer 1/2 pint jars. I'm wondering how it would be to slice them in half long ways after birthing and before the dunk and roll. This IMO would create more top surface, and just more growing surface in general when placed in FC.

I'm going to slice some and leave some whole to see for myself, but was just wondering if anyone else has tried this and what were your results if so?

veda_sticks

You could try, but your not really going to gain anything. Your only going to get so much out of such a small substrate. Plus small substrates only hold so much moisture.

So while you may get more pinning, your over all yeild is probably going to be the same as just 1 whole cake. Your mushrooms may be smaller too.

If you wnt to get the best out of your cakes. Hydrate your verm in half strength drinking coffee, that will boost colinisation speed. Also the addition of gypsum will help to. For bulk the ratio is 10% by volume. I cant remember how much to use for cakes, i guess a pinch for ever 2 cakes worth of mix would be plenty. I vagualy remember a teaspoon for 5 cakes i think.

Make sure your  terrarium is getting plenty of FAE, misting before you fan, high humidity and bright light in the daylight range.

NB311

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. As for as the coffee and gypsum are concerned, I'm assuming you mean to add these while creating the cakes before putting into jars??

veda_sticks

Yes you hydrate your vermiculite with half strentgh drinking coffee and add some gypsum.

If you want a boost with your cakes, try spawning them to coir/coffee/gypsum. You can use straight coir, however adding coffee gypsum will give better performance on later flushes.