Casing Grains

Started by Deadneck, May 21, 2009, 08:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadneck

Hey guys,

Is casing grains the same as casing PF Cakes? From what I can tell it is, I just want to know for sure. I'm starting a popcorn grow today, 2 pint jars being inoculated right now. Also, will 1 quart be enough for a lasagna sized tray? If not what's the recommended size?

Thanks,
Deadneck

coyoteyogi

I've innoculated a couple of popcorn quart jars and am waiting patiently (not) for some signs of mycelial growth. I started with an LC of azurescens. I haven't had any luck with that strain to date. What strain are you growing? :huh:

Deadneck

I've got two pint jars (1 quart) of B+ going. I'm going to get 3 more quarts of Cambodia inoculated tomorrow. Good luck to us all.

Peace,
Deadneck

veda_sticks

You can use a straight verm casing layer, though its a poor choice of casing layer.

50/50+ is a much better casing layer, which is peat/verm/hydrated lime.

Another easier option is a rez effect, which is mixing your grain spawn with hydrated vermiculite and allowing to colinse. The problem with grains is that they ust dont hold the moisture required to fruit, mixing in verm solves this.

You'll get 1 great flush (providing its in the ginetics) then a 2nd with alot let but larger mushrooms, and if your lucky maybe a few on the 3rd.

Upto to you, verm does work ok for a casing layer. From the results ive seem, the rez effect seems better

Deadneck

If it's the same as casing PF Cakes, I'm going to use a 60/40 Verm/Coir casing, maybe throw some coffee in the mix if I can find evidence that it has a positive effect in casings. I'm stoked on the grains!

shroomzer

Wow lots of people starting pop corn teks all of a sudden ... interesting.

coyoteyogi

My plan with the corn is to crumble into a mix of coir and birch chips. I will sterilize the coir and chips, probably with the microwave. But I'll have to wait and see how it goes. There may be signs of myc on the corn it's too early to tell. Anyone on this forum had luck with azures?

Deadneck

QuoteWow lots of people starting pop corn teks all of a sudden ... interesting.

I'm broke and can't afford anything else at the moment and I had a fresh bag of popcorn at the house. It just kinda fell in my lap.

shroomzer

Cool Deadneck .. it's cool to see other techniques being used.  I am anxious as to see some pictures of the out come of some of these things. 

fattrout

looks like i'll be casing some corn this weekend. i'll be using 60/40 peat/verm.. i will keep you guys posted..
fattrout

Deadneck

Hell yeah, I'm glad a more experienced grower is doing this before me. I'll stand by for your advice Fatt.

Peace.

veda_sticks

dont use coir in your casing layer. Its good food for fungi, it will usualy just colinse and become part of your substrate which isnt a biggy. If you have coir, simply spawn your grains to  coir/verm and allow to colinise and fruit uncased.

Id stick to 50/50 recipie for the casing layer.

Do not add coffee to your casing layer.

Also, bulk substrates should not be sterilised, they should be pasturised. Also the microwave is not a great method for either pasturisiation or sterilisation.

Deadneck

If I have enough spawn, I'm going to do a mono-tub using this tek to pasteurize the bulk substrate: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8311725

If not, I have plenty of time to come up with a contingency plan.........

coyoteyogi

Lost my two jars of corn to something smelly and orange. Pretty color just the wrong place for it to grow. bummer.

Deadneck

QuoteLost my two jars of corn to something smelly and orange

Did you take any pictures so we know what to look for in case it happens to me or anyone else? It would be a huge help! Sorry for your loss.

Later,
Deadneck

cugak

Ej veda sticks, when do you mix your grain spawn with vermiculite( is that wet or hydrated verm) and how much do u add to it?
share international

Deadneck

Just wanted to get my 100th post out of the way and become a full fledged member of the forum.

Oh, I love my PC too!!!

shroomzer

malabar

I'm really surprised that all of you guys and gals, of whom I have been reading your posts and comments for at least a couple of years are just now getting your heads in the game with grains.  I have only recently even thought about BRF cakes, and believe that method to be nothing more than a waste of time energy, and resources.
   I have used Brn. Rice, sometimes mixed with millet constantly for years with superb results.  Alternately, I will spawn my colonized Brn. Rice, 1 pt), into a 4 qt container, filled with sterilized Black Kow, mushroom compost, and perhaps case with pure sterilized verm, or not,...  Cased or not the fruits are prolific.  I have rarely produced less than 130 - 145 grams dried in the first flush.  Even in pt jar, whether they are cased with 60 / 40 sphagnum peat / verm, the results are consistant. and I can't remember the last time I have encountered any "true" contaminants.  There were time I thought the green that appeared on the sphagnum peat was bad, but i found it occurred naturally outdoors on the medium, and after tests at the local college, I was informed that it is benign-ed, and a natural effect due the environment here in Florida.
  Trust me, whether you are growing indoors, or out, grains are the way to go if the strain you are working with likes that particular substrate. 
  Peace   :ph34r:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

coyoteyogi

It sounds intriguing Malabar. How about writing up a formal TEK with pics for us know nuthins.