growing morels

Started by lbarnes, May 21, 2009, 11:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbarnes

After watching the 1 hr video of the instructions for making the cakes to grow mushrooms I now have a question.

The video shows that you can add the spores to the mixture and hopefully they will grow into the type of spore or sample of the mushroom. Will this also work with a morel spore or sample of a morel??

I use to eat the majic mushrooms back in the 60's and really didnt get off on it but now my tastes have gone for morel mushrooms. Have found in the wild but thought of trying tog row them myself.

Also if someone knows will the MYC growth support any type of mushroom?

Thanks for any help in advance

coyoteyogi

I know that growing morels is difficult. None other than Paul Stamets has had difficulty in getting them to grow. You can go to his site: fungi perfecti and do a search. You probably won't find a lot of useful information on morels (or morals for that matter) on this site.

lbarnes

I know it is difficult. But with my limited knowledge it seems that the myc is the key to getting any mushrooms to grow. From the info I have read on this forum it seems that the cake is the catalist for growing any mushroom.

If I can get the cake to grow then it seems like the morel spores should grow on it.

Thanks for your reply.

Larry

psilocybin warrior

Last time I checked the morchella have yet to be successfully homegrown, like black truffels in a way.(but shit changes, dont get dooped into buying a useless morel kit)

PW

lbarnes

I wasen't thinking of growing them inside, but in a wooded area.

I also was wondereing this idea:

I found some mushrooms growing on a old compose pile, since the myc is already there do you think the morels would use it for there growth? I know that morels like elm and ash trees for there growth and I have some ashes from both elm and ash trees that I was thinking of sowing into the ground and try to add morel spores to it to see it it would grow.

I have spent hours on several morel sites and some people say there kits work 90% of the time and then some calim they dont.

Hey all it's going to cost me is some wild morels

Larry