Second Fruiting Chamber (Pictures)

Started by PyramidHead1128, May 21, 2009, 02:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PyramidHead1128

This is my second attempt at trying to fruit my cakes.  Ive changed from a perlite FC to a clay balls with water pump FC.

Its been 2 days and they are seeming to be better.  Im not sure but i think there may be some kind of growth at the bottoms.  I dont see any brown pin heads though.

The humidity is not higher at all though, it went from 75-80% humidity to around 70-75%. I think my hygrometer might be off or something.

The temperature seems to be fine.

Im just hoping im not doing anything wrong again and i dont have to go and make a new fruiting chamber.
Thanks.

veda_sticks

I just made a post about acuratly measuring humidity the other day.

Im not familiar with that one, but it looks like a cheap reptile one, which usually cant be calibrated, so its going to be inacurate above 80%.

You need a meter that you can calibrate, wrap in a damp towel for 1 hour and adjust to read 99%.

What people dont know about hygrometers is there only acurate over a short range. and thats why they need to be calibrated.

it doesnt make sense why you changed to hydroton. Perlite is far superiour for maintaing humidity. It has such a high surface area due to all the little nooks and crannies that hold alot of water at the surface so it can be wicked into the air..

Your humidity is probably higher than you think, however that terrarium isnt ideal. Drill 1/4 inch holes 2-3 inches apart on every side, top and bottom included, put the perlite back in, ditch the air pump and raise it a few inches so air can get in the bottom.

You will get mid to upper 90's humidity that way.

and it will give you naturale FAE aswell. FAE is a very importnat pinning trigger, but that doesnt mean you can just leave it on its own. You still need to mist and fan, mist then fan afterwords.

FAe causes evaopration of moisture and you replace this moisture with misting. evaporating moisture from the substrate is a pinning trigger.

Ive seen awesome results in well build shotgun fruiting chambres that got plenty of fae and misting.

psilocybin warrior

Water is condensated on the coil that reads the humidity I would guess, take it off and check the back to see if there is a coil with a tiny screw. If there is screwing it will calibrate it. Before you do all that take it out and let it dry, then put it back in and see what it says.

PW

dan

Get rid of that hygrometer, I have the same one and out of the box it read 70%, I used it for a few days in my fc and it still read 70%?  I took it out of the fc and put it in a dry place overnight, the next morning, guess what, 70%.  I through it out...

veda_sticks

Quote from: dan on May 22, 2009, 06:02:04 AM
Get rid of that hygrometer, I have the same one and out of the box it read 70%, I used it for a few days in my fc and it still read 70%?  I took it out of the fc and put it in a dry place overnight, the next morning, guess what, 70%.  I through it out...

sounds like a faulty meter, etiher way. stick you can get good quality hygrometers from cigar shops or cigar online stores, $20 and it will last yo a long time, plus it wont build up moisutre on the inside like that one does.

But, if you build a shotgun fruiting chamber correctly, yo wont need a hygrometer, unless your living in a desert climate, which you should run a small humidifier in your room, it will save yo on heating in the winter, as dry air is a poor conductor of heat, plus you will feel more confortabnle

jrfungi

it doesnt make sense why you changed to hydroton. Perlite is far superiour for maintaing humidity. It has such a high surface area due to all the little nooks and crannies that hold alot of water at the surface so it can be wicked into the air..

IMO Perlite sux!!!!! it is messy and Clay with a pump just just as well.

jrfungi

veda_sticks

Perlite is supperiour for humidification. It has a large surface area due to all the nooks and crannies that hold the moisture right at the surface, making it easily availible to be evaporated into the air. It has way more surface area than hydroton and probably holds more moisture too. The best cake grows i have seen have been in shotgun fruiting chambers with perlite.

Perlite also requires no standing water or ar pump.

everyone has there own opinion

fattrout

i'm with JR on this one, Perlite sucks. IMO it is messy and hard to clean and reuse. hydroton is easy to work with. it can be cleaned very easy and used over and over many times...it also does a great job of keepping RH at 99+. for me anyway, i tried Perlite and didn't like working with it..
fattrout

fattrout

BTW, i also use this little unit. http://www.4littlepets.com/humidifierandairexchangertropicair1.aspx
in all my FCs. it works great keeps RH at 99+. also great FAE. this way there is no need for standing water in your geolite (hydroton) or perlite. this little unit can be used with many types of FCs..
read this tek and make adjustments to fit your needs.
http://www.shroomery.org/10156/Automated-Humid-Air-amp-Air-Exchanger-Tek-ToadStoolFool
fattrout

shroomzer

Yep that Perlite sucks gets my vote too.  Hydroton is soooo much nicer and cleaner and easier to use.  And you can use it over and over.  But hey, you like more work .. to each their own.

jrfungi

OK veda post some pics of some cakes you grow on perlite.....Let my boy FATT post some of his and we will see by proof(pics) not fricking typing long post.

Show us your results with some pics or shut the FU#@ up!!!!

THANKS so much for showing up and making my interest in the boards a little stronger lately. i had lost interest and with you around I cant stat away!!!!

shroomzer

Oh my fungi ... that's tellin' him!!!  Indeed it's getting interesting again! =)

MT

shroomzer

Hey MT, even your back!  seems like you haven't been around as much lately.

MT

I've been here. I just haven't had anything to post of late.

AirerZer

I am so relief after I saw this discussion I got the information that I really need.,