Casing cakes that have been in fruting chamber for weeks

Started by crazyd, May 23, 2009, 06:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyd

Hey guys.  I've got 3 cakes of Mazatapec that I birthed months ago, they grew some, then I dunked and rolled and have had no real pinning for at least 3 weeks (they are in my fruiting chamber).  Some new myc. has grown, but they are pretty much stagnant.  Would it be too late for me to take these cakes, crumble to marble size, and case?  Not sure if this would work or not at this stage of the game.  I just think there is still life in them and thought this might work.
Thanks!

veda_sticks

Dont crumble and case your cakes, not even after birthing. it has no benifit. All you do is waiste time and energy making the mycelium repair the network before it will fruit. your not adding any food, nor expanding the mycelium. Same amount of substrate, same yeild, more risk of contaminatoin.

Doing it with old substrate is not recomended. As time goes on mycelium ages, it gets old and weak and cell division slows down. The older your mycelium is, the longer it will take to rejoin the network, if it does.

Leave your cakes as is, check your cakes are hydrated, they may need another dunk. Hydrated cakes should feel heavy for there size. And check over your fruiting conditions.

Make sure there gettng plenty of FAE. FAE is very important, it causes evaporation of moisture which is a pinning trigger. You have to replace that with misting also. i recomend fanning more than you mist. Also mist before you fan, so that you dont leave things wet, which on mushrooms can cause bacterial blotch.

Also, bright light in the daylight range will also help stimulate pinning. A few minutes of direct sunlight a day also has been reported to help/

And, as always ensure that you are maintaing humidity. 95%+ is ideal.

psilocybin warrior

IME, crumbling cakes is very benificial, yeah maybe you wait another day or 2 while they colonize but unless you smoke rocks you can wait an extra couple day's right?  Ive messed around comparing yeilds from crumbled vs. uncrumbled cakes and crumbled cakes always utilize all surface area of the casing instead of just where you put the cake I've always had larger flushes off crumbled but usually 1 less. And some people get larger flushes off uncrumbled cakes. So when it comes to a personal preference question, dont listen to someone that tells you what to do, try em both out for yourself and you will see what works best for you.

shroomzer

Indeed what PW said .. try it for yourself and find your own preferance as to what you want to do.

crazyd

I ended up placing the dunked cakes in the tin, putting the casing mixture around them, and then kind of breaking up the cakes with my hands so they would stay in the middle of most of the casing mixture.  I put another 1/2" of casing loosely on top, covered with foil, and placed in my FC.  I imagine if anything DOES happen, it will take quite a while, seeing as how old these cakes are.  I don't have my hopes up, but will just wait and see.  Thanks for your advice.

Fun Guy

I just tried this with some gc cakes that were three weeks old.  Only difference is i slice mine instead of crumbling.  I usually see myc in like 5 days max.  Two weeks and the slices hadnt even formed together.  I threw it out.  I dont think this is a viable option, but let me know if it works for u.

fattrout

IMO, crumbling is best. yes it may take a little longer. but i have found that i get more fruit this way.. if those cake have any life left you should see myc in 3 to 5 days..
fattrout

jrfungi

IMO crumble crumble and crumble.....Of course use a TUB!!! LOL

veda_sticks

I just tried this with some gc cakes that were three weeks old.  Only difference is i slice mine instead of crumbling.  I usually see myc in like 5 days max.  Two weeks and the slices hadnt even formed together.  I threw it out.  I dont think this is a viable option, but let me know if it works for u.

And that is exactly why i said not to crumble and case cakes, more specifically crumble cakes that have been birthed for any length of time. Mycelium ages and as it does, cell division slows down. The older it is, the ess likely that netowrk will be able to repair, if it does it takes longer and is more likely to contaminated.

IMO casing substrate shouldnt be a substitute for good fruiting conditions.

Srface area is irrelevant, food  and age is. crumbling and casing doesnt axpand the network and it doesnt add eny more food, so to say that it increases yeild doesnt make sense. Any increase in yeild will have more to do with the casing layer making providing moisture right at the surface of the mycelium.

If your cakes arnt fruitin, yo need to look at your fruiting conditions. Fresh air exchange is very important. Keep your rh high and mist also to replae moisture that has evaporated.

If your cakes arnt fruiting it could be bad ginetics.

If you want to crumble cakes, might as well spawn to some bulk substrate.

By all means, try it and see what works for you.  But the way i see it, why not just just mix with bulk, increase of yeild right away.

Im going to be crumbling and casing cakes, but only because im not using perlite fruiting chamber, ill be using mini dub tubs and i will also be spawning to bulk also in others.

If you to a good isolate, and fruited them as cakes in a good terrarium and compared with crumbled in the same terrairum yeilds would be very similar if not the sam.e

psilocybin warrior

He's doing Pf-tek (cakes) not bulk, if he wanted to do bulk im sure he would be. You talk way to fucking much about nothing, from now on, just know I won't be reading anything you write. If you wish to contact me for whatever reason, don't. I don't even know you and I don't like you.

PW

veda_sticks

ignore is bliss.

your free to do what you want. I try to post with as much information i can so that people can get the most out of there grows.

If

shroomzer

Quote from: psilocybin warrior on May 27, 2009, 07:23:14 PM
He's doing Pf-tek (cakes) not bulk, if he wanted to do bulk im sure he would be. You talk way to fucking much about nothing, from now on, just know I won't be reading anything you write. If you wish to contact me for whatever reason, don't. I don't even know you and I don't like you.

PW

LMFAO PW~!!!

shroomzer

Quote from: veda_sticks on May 27, 2009, 07:27:44 PM
ignore is bliss.

your free to do what you want. I try to post with as much information i can so that people can get the most out of there grows.

If
"ignore is bliss" - shouldn't that be 'ignorance is bliss'.  Ya know Veda your posts are long etc., but using the spell check could make reading them a whole lot more interesting to.  Well for those who choose to read your posts entirely through.  I only make it so far with the lack of spelling and drawn out answers you post.

jrfungi

veda_sticks = Blah, blah, blah ,blah fucking BLAH!!!!!

Shut the fuck up why dont you??

Are you a chick who  bitches at shroom farmers. If I wanted my F'ing wife on here I would give her the web address

Go back to Shroombitchia or shroomatopia....

I love PW and only he can bitch at us!!!!!!!

shroomzer

psilocybin warrior

Im going to contradict myself here but I would like to know,

"Srface area is irrelevant, food  and age is. crumbling and casing doesnt axpand the network and it doesnt add eny more food, so to say that it increases yeild doesnt make sense. Any increase in yeild will have more to do with the casing layer making providing moisture right at the surface of the mycelium."

>Do you smoke crack? or would you like me to draw you a picture? Do you even grow shrooms? or just talk about it alot? you don't sound too experienced to me.

crazyd

I was just checking on this post of mine from a little bit back...PW...you are crazy!  Why don't you tell us what you really think????  LOL...funny dude.

psilocybin warrior

Cuz then you guys might hate me more? haha jp, I got nothin bad to say or think about yall, but Veda just seemed very arrogant/ noobknowitall (but really diddn't) to me.
PW