Preaching to the coir

Started by coyoteyogi, May 25, 2009, 10:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyoteyogi

So I've been having a longer time than I thought getting my 2nd effort to fruit. I had a small (the smallest possible) jelly jar of BRC that I put into a pie tin surrounded by sterilized coir. It seems to have spent the last week colonizing the coir. I dunked it in water for 12 hours prior to adding it to the coir. I've exposed it to light. The conditions seem right 99%RH @ 73F. Why is it not pinning?
  I crumbled another pint cake into a tupperware deep dish container filled with coir and it's doing the same thing. Have I been inadvertantly doing a bulk sub?
  These are malabars. I've heard the strain is a good fruiter. We'll see.

coyoteyogi

:huh: So it's been a few days since I posted my questions and I don't get a single response? Geesh. Still no signs of pinning in either the dunked cake, the cased cake, the tub or the pie pan. RH is still at 99 temps around 74. I fan and mist 3-4 times a day. The cake and the tub are showing additional myc growth as fuzzy white, cloud like bubbles. I'm beginning to think I may need to drill holes in my FC. Comments?

psilocybin warrior

Is there enough moisture in your casings. Whats in that little jar? A dunked cake? What for?

PW

coyoteyogi

So first of all, this is my second grow. The cake in the jar is following the instructions of the modified PF TEK in Nikolas and Ogame's book Psilocybin Growers Handbook. I got some good flushes from that method my first go 'round. They claim that by limiting light to the top layer you get better and denser flushes out the top.
  I'm still playing around trying to find out what works best for me and try and get more experience with a variety of methods. The pie pan was more of an afterthought than a plan. The little jelly jar was the first to colonize. I had no idea it would take to the coir like it did.
  I think the casings are moist enough. The coir changes color when dry and it hasn't turned that light brown.
  I"ll post some more pictures tomorrow. I also drilled some holes in the side of the FC and covered them with typar. the covers are tight at the top and double taped so there is a small gap at the bottom. Best I can do until I can find a polyfill source locally.
  Thanks for the response.

coyoteyogi

Well I'm not too impressed with the group. I found a few pins today so they do seem to be moving along, though more slowly than I want :rolleyes:
Patience, patience, Patience. At least that's what I tell other people.

psilocybin warrior

Try using more spawn/ diff sub nextime. Little jelly jars? cmon dude. just coir in pie tins? leaving pfcake in the jar to fruit? 2nd grow? this is kinda why we tell noobians not to get ahead of themselves.

PW

shroomzer

psilocybin warrior

Headie organic lakefront property on cloud 9. 10$ a hit.

PW

MT

coyoteyogi

So I pasteurized some verm and cased the little tupperware container as well as covering the sides with foil. It has a few healthy pins poking up through the verm. The dunked but uncased cake is also putting out a few pins. I took it out of the jar and just let it sit in the FC on a plastic lid.
  As for the pie tin, I put in a small cake and surrounded it with pasteurized coir. The cake took to it with enthusiasm and fully colonized the coir. I realize that I made a mistake here in that it should have been covered and put back into my tub in tub in the dark. So I put a layer of verm around that yesterday. Don't know if it will do anything or not. The FC is right around 74F, 99%RH. I'll be away from home for 5 days in the middle of the month and am concerned that everything will happen while I'm not here to attend to it. I've also got 18 jars of nearly fully colonized BRC, four jars of WBS and two bread pans of crumbled cake to 60/40 coir verm substrate... Just another old fart having fun. ^_^ ^_^