Contamination

Started by Blue Meanie, June 03, 2009, 01:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Meanie

Five or six attempts at PF now and most attempts have been contaminated by green mould.  I've had most contamination in the jar. IE after a couple of weeks, the jar gets green shit growing in there and killing the white mycelium, but I've had a couple of fruiting sucesses where I might even get a couple of mushrooms but then the dreaded green shit moves in and destroys everything, including my enthusiasm.
I live in a tropical area, North Queensland, Australia.  There is a lot of mould and mildew here naturally, so I'm thinking I need to take extra precautions. 
When I innoculate, should I put a filter over the top of the jar, so that it can still breathe but mould etc can't get in.
When I fruit in the fruiting chamber, how about I filter the air that I pump in there, EG by filtering the air I pump in there by wrapping the fish tank pump in a filter of some sort?
Anybody else live in tropic environs?

jrfungi

I would guess that you have too much water in your jars before you inoc. Try reading your tek again and make sure to take every precaution and be extra sterile.

I would look up a poor man's pod on here or the shroomery.org (fruiting chamber). Spray your grow area and surroundings a few times a day with Lysol or Oust. And yes you should try and filter your air someway. I use fish pums and they have a built in filter but i clean the filter between grows. I live in a very hot and humid area but not tropic and do not have too much trouble.

Are you pressure cooking or boiling your jars? Dont get frustrated it happens to everyone. I hit a bad streak once. I solved it by going back to the basic and reading everything again. There is probally a step or two you are forgetting. Go back to the basic and good luck!!

AprilZer

With the information I got in this discussion I think my problem will be finish.,

veda_sticks

providing your sterilisation methods are good, contamination in your jar usually only means 2 things.

Dirty inoculation
Dirty inoculant.

If your not using a glovebox, that will certianly introduce contamination.

www.mushroomvideos.com

watch the 4 pf tek videos

also make sure that you are sterilising correctly. if your steaming you must make sure that its done correctly. Steam in a tight pot with a tight fitting light. 90 minutes after steam escapes the lid. I steam for 2 hours after the water starts to boil and that works great for me.

Also, tape up your inoc holes with micropore or masking tape and use foil over the lid so that water doest get in during sterilisation. breathable tape is important so as your dry verm doesnt collect moisture during sterilisation.

If your leaving your foil on the jar after inoculation, not nly will it slow colinisation, but your dry verm layer will get damp and contams will colinise right through it.

Since you live in a high mould spore count area, maybe you could also try taping the holes up with micropore,, its not nessesary but it may help.

Baphom3t

veda_sticks

Quote from: Baph on June 06, 2009, 06:43:46 PM
I smell troll

lol

anyway

follow the pf tek vids  on that website, follow it exactly and you wont get hit with contaminatino.

I live in a flat with damp walls with bad mould problems, and i dont have neer the contam rates tat you do, infact the only contam i had so far in this flat is bacteria in a straight brwwn rice jar

shroomzer

"""I live in a flat with damp walls with bad mould problems, and i dont have neer the contam rates tat you do, infact the only contam i had so far in this flat is bacteria in a straight brwwn rice jar""""

HMMM.... you live with damp walls and bad mold?   That in itself sounds kinda unhealthy?!  No offense .. just sayin'...

dan

Im surprised they let your grow mushies in your cell.......  LOL   Sorry I couldnt help myself.

heartx

shroomzer

Oh now Dan .. tsk tsk tsk .. lol

Blue Meanie

I'll keep on trying guys, thanks for the feedback.  My latest effort is 24 jars!  I figure it's gotta increase my chances, and hey this aint expensive or anything.

psilocybin warrior

I would recommend trying with less now, this isnt statistics issue....

PW