rye seed???

Started by fungiguy, June 22, 2009, 07:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungiguy

is there a difference between rye seed and rye grain? is organic better to use? i am having some trouble finding it locally, just outside philly.

malabar

Fungiguy,
  Go with the grain,.... Organic is always better, but costs a bit more.  If you pockets are that deep, you can always go to the Bio-Max, or any other health food store.  They are near Philly, or right across the bridge in New Jersey.
  Later.
      :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

fungiguy

o.k. so grain and seed r different. does the amount change that u would put in each jar? i'm gonna innoculate a couple of quart jars. once they start to colonize, i'm gonna shake them to keep them broken up. my goal is to use the 2 jars to innoculate many others. you get the picture.

malabar

No, the ratios should relatively the same.  The only change I might make would be due to the density .  If you are following a recipe for grains, and the seed is lighter in weight and density, i would decrease the H2O slightly.  With time, you'll get it, and rarely ever weigh and measure. 
  Later.
      :mellow:

fungiguy

do you just squeeze the grains, like you would verm/rice flour, until a couple of drops come out? i"m just trying to get it right the 1st time. i have 10 cakes almost fully colonized. just gonna let the cakes do what they do, but casing produces much better results. i want to start up the next batch asap using the casing method. just gathering up as much info as possible before then.

malabar

Dude,.
   Squeeze??  Squeeze what?  Are you talking about preparing grains for inoculation?  Or making some wild and new idea for casing???
  Preparing the grains is simple,..   for 1 pt jars,  1 cup of grains, 3/4 cup of distilled H2O, cover them with foil, or tyvek liners and the liner caps inverted, then pc for 1 hour.  No rocket science there!
  If you are making casing material,.  I use 100% verm outdoors, and 60/40 long fibered sphagnum peat/verm mix.  Moisten , and pc that for 1 hour, and that's a done deal as well.
  There is a science involved, but God will handle the important stuff if you do you part handling the little things!
    Later.    :mellow:

fungiguy

i found a nursery that has rye seed, but it is mixed with bluegrass seed. is this ok to use? i just ordered a couple af syringes(cambodian and taz.). my 1st batch is almost ready 4 the fc. pf tek cakes, 5 golden teachers and 5 b+. really excited!!!! i'll post pics when they start fruiting.