bird seed question

Started by Fun Guy, June 28, 2009, 04:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun Guy

So I made the step up to wbs.  First two jars went pretty good but I followed a tek that said to soak them 24 hrs and then simmer them twenty min before 90 pc sterilization.  Got myc growth and was going good but I am pretty sure that they were too wet.  I went ahead and cased them after two weeks and the myc had slowed down but some around the edges was looking like paste.  When I opened them they had a fermentation smell to them.  I cased them and am seeing progressive growth but the whiskey smell is still there. 
     So on my second try I found a tek that said just soaking 24 hrs was good.  I skipped the simmer and followed all the same steps, hit them up with a dmk lc that I had made.  But they look to be bone dry and 5 days in I have like little white dots that almost look like sand all over them but no normal myc growth.  If they are too dry what will happen and should I dump and start over?  Any help here will be appreciated.  PW I know you work with wbs.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/Tony591976/IMG00128.jpg

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/Tony591976/IMG00127.jpg

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/Tony591976/IMG00126.jpg

heres some pics but I dont know if you can see anything.  Hard to capture dots are so small.  Maybe u can see wetness or lack of though.  thanks again.

Fun Guy

Oh one thing I forgot,  The casing with the fermented smelling wbs that is growing now.  Mushrooms off this will still be safe yes?

malabar

Yo Fun Guy,
  Sorry to drop in, and I may be wrong, but I am thinking the simmering was one of the vital steps in your preparation.  Something like a "rinse"?  Or perhaps a hydration step.
  I don't generally do too much pre-soaking anymore, though I have in the past with millet/rye mixture.  I have gone from soaking to pc, but never experienced that smell.  What I do know for sure is,... Foul odors are generally not good.
  Sour, fermenting, rotting.  Kind of the same to me. 
****But, I am interested in hearing what PW has to say myself, so don't dump them until we here his verdict!
~Malabar
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

Fun Guy

yeah the simmering was a hydration step in that tek.

psilocybin warrior

So I made the step up to wbs.  First two jars went pretty good but I followed a tek that said to soak them 24 hrs and then simmer them twenty min before 90 pc sterilization.  Got myc growth and was going good but I am pretty sure that they were too wet.  I went ahead and cased them after two weeks and the myc had slowed down but some around the edges was looking like paste.  When I opened them they had a fermentation smell to them.  I cased them and am seeing progressive growth but the whiskey smell is still there. 

>>You over hydrated your WBS, try simmering on lower heat. Don't forget to rinse really well b4 & after, your jars looked kinda slurry. How long ago did you innoc the slurried jars? Ive had a few whiskey smelling jars & I just toss em n do it over. Also, did you take care of all the floaties?

So on my second try I found a tek that said just soaking 24 hrs was good.  I skipped the simmer and followed all the same steps, hit them up with a dmk lc that I had made.  But they look to be bone dry and 5 days in I have like little white dots that almost look like sand all over them but no normal myc growth.  If they are too dry what will happen and should I dump and start over?  Any help here will be appreciated.

>> Simmering is part of hydrating the WBS(you need to do it). All you did was soak for 24 hrs?? & you diddnt add any water with the WBS before you put it into jars to PC.? That's why this batch turned out bone dry, dump them and do-over.

PW

coyoteyogi

I've had the same thing with my attempts at WBS. The grain was too wet and went sour. Throw it out. Join the club.  :mellow: