Hats opening early

Started by eeh, June 29, 2009, 10:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eeh

Some of the mushrooms have started to open hats at a very early stage!

2 of them are only 1,5 inches(4 cm) ish long and already the hat had opened.

Is there anything wrong with humidity or temprature?

psilocybin warrior

Is there anything wrong with humidity or temprature?

>>What is it.....?

PW

eeh

Between 95-99 humidity, 70-72 F.

psilocybin warrior

eeh

coyoteyogi

Are you using the brown rice flour cake method? Did you dunk the cakes to get them fully hydrated? Is there good FAE (fresh air exchange)? Small 'shrooms can be potent so don't worry too much. Your conditions sound okay. You'll most likely get a variety of sizes. Post some pics.

shroomzer

I know when I first started this hobby, besides all the stuff I had to toss, my lil' guys were just that ..little.  Seemed not to affect the potency.

eeh

Yes, im using the FP-tek brown rice flour method. I did not dunk the cakes before putting them into FC, I thought that was only needed after the flushes?

The fae should be ok, we drilled plenty of holes in the buttom of the case and we fan it 2-3 times a day. Normally once in the morning, one in the middle of the day and once more before we go to sleep.

Can a sudden dropp in humidity cause the hats to open? We had the humidity down to 75% when we had to rewater the perlite because it had almost dryed out. It was 75% for only 2-3 minutes or so tho.

Thanks for all replies so far.

fattrout

pull those suckers off, keep them there still good. dunk the cakes for 12 to 24 hours. then roll in verm... back into FC you should be ok....
fattrout

eeh

Pull ALL shrooms off all of the 6 cakes or just the ones that had shrooms with hats opening?

And btw, just dry normal verm or with flour?

shroomzer

Just pull the ones that the cap opened to soon and roll in verm (i use fine verm).

eeh

No dunking for 12-24 hours?

MT

Yes, you need to dunk them before rolling in verm.

fattrout

if your goin to dunk. you should dunk right out of the jar. like shroomzer said, then roll in fine verm if you can find it. if not its ok. any verm will work, i like fine verm because i think it sticks to the cake better... also dunk your cakes for no less then 12 hours and no longer then 24 hours.. yes just normal dry verm..
fattrout

fattrout

BTW, it may not be necessary. but i always take a bunch of verm aside and bake it in a pan covered with foil for 30mins. @ 225F.. let it cool, move to a sterile environment remove the foil and pour into a ziplock. set it aside for rolling only... 
fattrout

fungiguy

fattrout, you're like a mad scientist. but attention to detail does does produce higher yields.