How are these lookin'?

Started by dub504, June 29, 2009, 03:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub504

Hey all, I've had these in my fc for 3 days (Poor Man's Pod). I did the dunk and roll. Temp varies between 80-85F. Humidity 99%. Whatcha' think?
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/646/cakesd.jpg

fattrout

your temp is to high. it should be about 74-76F. but the cakes look good to me. you should have pins in 3 to 5 days.
fattrout

shroomzer

I think they be looking like you'll be having fruits soon enough! 

dub504

Yeah, I'm struggling w/ the temp. I've got the fc in a storage space above a closet. 13' ceilings, hot air rises and all that, so it's definitely warmer up there... I really don't have anywhere else to put the fc though.

What are the drawbacks to the warmer temps?

-Dub

shroomzer

The adding of light and lowering of temperature triggers the mycelium to pin and grow mushrooms.

dub504

Will they still pin at higher temps and just take a little longer? Or, will the cakes just keep vegetating? I'm giving them 12 hours of daylight spectrum light a day. (wow, that seems redundant!) :rolleyes: and I did cold shock them "for what it's worth." during the dunk.

fattrout

you also run a higher risk of contams. with higher temps.. but i think you shuold be ok. just keep an eye out for contams..
fattrout

coyoteyogi

If you want to experiment. Get some of those plastic cups that people use for beer at BBQs. Fill 7/8's of the way with water and freeze. Rotate them through the FC one per day. It will lower your temps. Play around with the amount of water to keep it from getting too cool. It shouldn't be a hassle as I'm sure you check up on your babies regularly, right?

dub504

yeah, I check on them pretty constantly. The ice is helping w/ the temp.

dub504

Dang, the cooler temps are messing w/ the humidity... was 99 now 95 ish. I guess mother nature doesn't want me to get in the way.

Side note: I think the relative humidity is too high (the south man, hot as balls!) so when I get the temp below the dew point, mid 70's, the air in the fc can't hold the moisture...

coyoteyogi

If you make a mix of 1 part H2O2 to 9 parts clean water you can mist directly with a hand sprayer without risking contamination.

psilocybin warrior

They can still grow at 95% RH, just a wee bit slower. Ive grown in plain bins that offer no RH(cuz i forgot about em), high Rh is mainly preffered. Do what you can do keep your temps lower because they will still grow so listen to trout and dont run with the risk of contam's.

PW

dub504

Hey all, last week was rough fighting the heat and keeping stable humidity, so I moved my FC lower and a window a/c is keeping the temp between 74-76. I'm pretty sure I had some form of overlay on my cakes from misting them and the fc so much. The myc was matted down and there was no activity after 5 days. The humidity has been very stable at 99% now. I felt I needed to rinse them off, so I did and rerolled them. Over the next day or two pins started.
Cheers, I'm on the right track...

shroomzer

dub504

BTW, any opinions on how often I should mist...

crazyd

I've been misting mine 2 or 3 times a day, and then I fan them with the chamber lid for at least 30 seconds.

dub504