Fungifun - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed

Author Topic: spore overdose  (Read 4912 times)

bad queefy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« on: February 19, 2005, 02:44:44 PM »

My friend and I just finished with our first attempt at growing South Americans using the PF tek. We both made our own cakes using the same 10cc syringe. He inoculated his first, and then it was my turn... When i was about to inoculate mine... i had noticed 4cc's were already missing from the syringe! So, i was wondering... What the hell will 4cc's of spores do to my friend's cake?
Logged

anno

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 668
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 06:58:35 PM »

Nothing, the colonization might start a bit sooner since there are more spores. Other than that, there won#t be any difference.

So, you only made 2 cakes all in all?
Logged

bad queefy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »

Thats ok then, Thanks for the information! We only made two cakes to practice on. After these two, i plan on using the rest of the syringe... which should make about 5 more cakes.  :)
Logged

bad queefy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 10:28:48 AM »

Its been seven days since innoculation, and there isnt anything going on with the cakes. No white puffy stuff, no other colored stuff, no smells, no nothing! whats going on? Is it the strain? The spores? I thought that maybe the terranium wasnt hot enough, so i fixed that problem. (old one used giant rubbermaids w/ fish tank heater, new one is a much smaller plastic box w/ fish tank heater) If that doesnt help, what might? Thanks again, see ya.  B)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 08:23:53 PM by bad queefy »
Logged

anno

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 668
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 06:46:50 AM »

>terranium

*terrarium

Yes, the temperature plays a big role.
 Give is some time more, as long you are not experiencing contaminations, you are on the right track.

btw, did you shake the syringe well before inoculation?
Logged

bad queefy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 10:44:49 AM »

Yes, i did shake up the syringe pretty well. Ill give it the time it needs then, thanks!
Logged

bad queefy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 05:32:16 AM »

Hey. There is some white stuff throughout the jar... but very little. It has been there for day in the jar with the 4cc, and now my cake has some as well. Could that be spiderweb mold and not myclium?
Logged

anno

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 668
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 07:21:50 AM »

Mycelium is white.
How fast does it spread?
Logged

bad queefy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 01:50:37 PM »

Right, it is white, but it doesnt grow hardly at all. The stuff appeared slowly over a couple of days, and hasnt done much since. Its very thin, but all over. I also was wondering if maybe the cake mixture was packed too tight. I knew not to pack it down, and we did no such thing when making them... but it still doesnt look like its as airy as it might need to be. This is just a random idea with no knowledge to back it up, so what do you think?
Logged

anno

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 668
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 05:58:15 AM »

At what temperature do you keep the jars? Low temperature might slow colonization considerably.
Logged

bad queefy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
spore overdose
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 06:03:35 PM »

Not sure of the actual temp, but its fairly humid in the terrarium. All that is used is a small fish tank heater.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 06:12:24 AM by bad queefy »
Logged