Popcorn Tek / Grain Jars

Started by dub504, June 29, 2009, 07:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub504

Okay, my girl and I snack on a lot of popcorn and this sounded like a fun experiment. (She thought it was gonna be some kind of psychedelic popcorn that we could eat  ^_^. I wish!) So, I followed the Tek and inoculated on Sunday w/ spores.
    My question is this. Do grain jars loose much moisture though the polyfil filter? It's a 1/4" hole.

shroomzer

Haha .. that would be great~!!  Too bad you couldn't inoculate the popcorn, dry it and pop it ... that'd be awesome~!!  (sorry, just a thought, not trying to hijack your thread) =)

fattrout

so far i have not had a problem with loosing moisture. here some good news, you can make psychedelic popcorn. just grind your shroom into powder and sprinkle it on your popped corn.. ^_^ it should work,
fattrout

coyoteyogi

After inoculation the jars should be in a dark place with little air exchange so they shouldn't lose much moisture, unless you live in a desert environment with RH in the single digits. If you're really concerned, put a jar of water in the Tub in tub to keep the RH up. (I'd put some H2O2 in the water to eliminate anything from growing in it.) My problems with popcorn and grain have been with too much moisture. If they're at all wet when innocced then contams will win the day. That's been my experience. I've got six jars of popcorn started on Sunday. Good luck to us both.

dub504

The popcorn shouldn't look wet in the jars right? I Drained for 30 mins. There is only very slight moisture appearing on the inside of the jar and the kernels are a little split.

Shroomzer, I really think that's what she thought we were gonna do. ^_^

fattrout

you should be OK.. if you can put up pics it would help. i have some jars goin now. i'll put up pics tonite.
fattrout

dub504

fattrout

looks good, in about a week you should see fuzz.
fattrout

fattrout

check this out, i inoculated these on 6/12.. 2cc of tazmanian each jar. the jar on the left yellow corn. on the right white..

fattrout

coyoteyogi

Hey Fattrout those look sweet. Are you then going to crumble them to a substrate/bulk? What mix? What ratio of corn to sub? Just wonderin.

fattrout

coyote, i'll get back to you later. im at work no more time to play....
fattrout

fattrout

ok coyote, this is what i have been doing for now. when the corn is fully colonized i dump it into a loaf pan. throw a layer of a (60/40 peat/verm) casing mix on it. for every 2 inches of corn, a 1/4 of casing mix. has been working best for me right now. but i'm still experimenting. i'm goin to play with coir next.
fattrout

coyoteyogi

I've found coir to be amazing in its capacity to hold moisture. I've read that some commercial coir  when marketed as a soil amendment has trich added to help break down the soil. I bought mine (a small brick) at a pet store. They sell it for reptile cages. I have yet to get a really strong and abundant flush from my coir mix. I've got some bread pans cooking. Wish me luck. I haven't used peat before; I'll give it a try. Just to be certain the 1/4 you mention is 1/4" of thickness or 1/4 of total volume?

fattrout

1/4" of thickness, sorry i was tired last nite worked 12hr yesterday..
fattrout

cugak

Do you also put casing mix under popcorn?
share international

nomoredroughts

fattrout. when you inoculated those did you use l.c or s.s
DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT CHICKEN!!!!

coyoteyogi

Nomoredroughts, I used a spore syringe and have good myc growth at 4 days. An LC would be an even quicker start.

fattrout

i use a spore syringe most of the time. i have also been doing grain to grain transfers.
fattrout

fattrout

check this out. that popcorn casing i started back in may, (is like my wife of 33yr) still putting out regularly.. -_-

this sucker is 31 Gs wet.
fattrout

malabar

Nice one, Fattrout!  Reminds me of our tickets to paradise last night! 
Very sweet,..... enjoy my friend.
  ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!