Covering a polyfil filter w/ tin foil before PC'ing

Started by Deadneck, July 01, 2009, 09:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadneck

Just wondering if I should cover my polyfil filter with a double layer of tin foil before I PC them. I am doing another popcorn grow, the tek on shroomery used a filter disc and then covered with tin foil. Is it necessary for polyfil too?

Thanks,
Deadneck

fattrout

yes i do, it keep water from getting in the filter...
fattrout

coyoteyogi

So FT do you then take it off once the jar has been knocked up?

Deadneck

Thanks Fatt,

One more question: instead of a polyfil filter with a lid, can I use two coffee filters secured with a rubberband and then covered with tin foil? I ran out of lids.  Oooops.

fattrout

coyote, yes...

dead, not sure. all you can do is try it. see what happins. or PW may know...
fattrout

Deadneck

Thanks again Fatt,

I'm reading a thread on Shroomery right now, and it looks like a coffee filter isn't the best b/c it's way too porous, but some have had success with it. I only have two jars that need a filter, I'll risk it this time.

psilocybin warrior

The rubberband will melt in the PC. and the info you found on the shroomery is right.  I use 2 layers of tinfoil over my filters as well. You can buy plain old lids at a Grocery store....cheap.

PW

malabar

Deadneck,
  Head up the block to Winn Dixie. They are in the aisle with foil, wraps, Mason Jars ect.  A box of a dozen are about $1.50 .
   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

Deadneck

I just bit the bullet and went out and bought a dozen new jars. I only had 1/2 pints at the house and grains need a much larger volume of space, so I bought a dozen pint jars. Qts won't fit in my PC (unfortunately). I'm PC'ing them as we speak (10PM), doing a G2G transfer tomorrow.

If I would have read your post before Malabar, I probably would've been equally happy with new lids. But it's done and too late now. I'm still pretty stoked on my new jars.

Peace,
Dead(not Red)Neck

malabar

Deadneck,
   It's all good.  By the way, they ended up replacing the compressor, and air handler yesterday.  They worked until after 9pm, but it's like Alaska in the house now,......$3900.00 later that is!    :rolleyes:
  I am in the process of doing my G2G tonight and expanding by 3 more FC's, ( 6 total now).  Got to get my garden outdoors back together.  That last trip, and all of the heat did all but wiped those out.
  Later
  ~Malabar
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!