harvest time

Started by fungiguy, July 06, 2009, 05:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungiguy

i have noticed that the veils on a couple of my shrooms have broken. is it time to pic them? how long can i leave them grow after the veils break? will leaving them grow have any effects on potency? this is my 1st time~~~don't want to mess up. i want to pick them all at once.

Deadneck

You can pick your babies once the veil breaks away. If you don't pick them now and let them grow out a little more, nothing bad will happen. The cap will open up a little more and maybe drop spores in your FC. Potency will not be affected.

Later,
Deadneck

fungiguy

cool. thanks deadneck!! i do not own a dehydrator yet. how long does it take for them to dry if just left out on a plate. will they dry completely if dried that way?

Deadneck

I don't have a dehydrator either. I have rigged up a decent way to fully dehydrate: I took a large metal mixing bowl from my kitchen and put a piece of screen on top and secured it together with a large rubber band. I then place the bowl in front of a fan and place shroomies on top and they usually dehydrate in about 24hrs.

This is my way of doing it, you can adjust to your liking. I'm not sure how long they take if left on a plate. I'd at least put them in front of a fan to accelerate the process.

fattrout

yes fugiguy, you can put them on a paper plate. it could take up to 3 or 4 days to dry. depending on the climate where you live. also turn them over once a day. because the side down on the plate will stay wet. remember the longer it take to dry, the greater the chance of contams.. btw i always wait for the caps to open all the way, before i pick.
good luck, fattrout. -_-
fattrout