vermiculit problem

Started by HEGEMON, April 04, 2004, 12:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HEGEMON

Please help, i'm desperate,there is no vermiculit in my country,can i use something else insted of it.

K20A2

Did you try ordering off the internet? No stores in my area carry it anymore so I had to order mine online.  

anno

HEGEMON

I'm from serbia.
It would be very expensive  if i order online.

anno

Then I would suggest to try a diffeerent tek than the PF-Tek.
You could sterilize some rye
http://www.fungifun.org/grain
inoculate it, and once colonized case it.
Many documents about it at http://www.shroomery.org/casing .

HEGEMON

Thanks for the information's but I decided to buy vermiculit.It's not so expensive after all.
So 6 days ago i did inoculation and now i have 2 questions:

1.I bought brown rice at the health food store, but I'm not so sure if it's organic.They told me it's organic but i'm
not sure because it was the only store in town that had organic brown rice and the other stores didn't have it, And there
is about 50 health-food stores in my town.So what will happen if it's not organic.

2.The room where i keep my glasses is not perfectly clean.I try to keep it as clean as possible but i don't think
it's clean enough.So i put each glass in a plastic bag and sealed it.The question is:can i keep them like this,
do they need ear.My English is not so good,so i hope you understand this question.

Thanks

anno

1. While it?s better to use organic brown rice, in most cases normal white rice  suitable for human consumption works as well. So don't worry too much about it.

2. I wouldn't recommend putting the jars in plastic bags. The jars need air to breath, while the amount needed is not that great, it's still better if they are not sealed.
The top vermiculite layer and of course the foil should provide enough protection against dust from the air.

And your English, it's flawless.

Do you think you could or better, would you want to  translate the PF Tek for Simple Minds into Serbian language? Do you think there is an interest for it in your country?

HEGEMON

I can and i want to translate Pf tek for simple minds into Serbian(Croation,Bosnian and Montenegro are basically the same
languages).I know a lot of people who are interested in trying mushrooms.Since they are ilegal, they can't buy them, they will have to grow them like i do.

anno

>I can and i want to translate Pf tek for simple minds into Serbian

Very good!

In the attachment are the files which need to be translated. I would suggest you to use the web editor that comes along http://www.mozilla.org .
If you run into any problems feel free to post here or PM me.

HEGEMON

I have translated pf-tek.Should i post it here or mail it to you?sorry for waitting so long but i was very bussy this days studying for exam.

Also i have couple of questions:

1.I took out cakes from incubator 15 days ago and put them on the room temperature,still there is no
sign of pinning(strain is cubesnis equador). Should i try using cold shocking or should i wait a little more?

2.There was something green on two of my cakes when mycelium started to colonize,but now on one cake i see it only
at the bottom of the glass and on the other one there is no more,only pure white color.What should i do with this cakes.Can
Mushrooms grow from contaminated cakes? What will happen if someone eat contaminated mushrooms?

Thanks

HEGEMON

Just curious :D Where are you from anno

anno

>I have translated pf-tek.Should i post it here or mail it to you?

Please emqail it to me, the adedress is here http://www.fungifun.org/contact.htm

>I took out cakes from incubator 15 days ago and put them on the room
>temperature,still there is nosign of pinning(strain is cubesnis equador).

Some strains don#t form invitro pins. In this case birth the cakes as they are, without pins.

>There was something green on two of my cakes when mycelium started to colonize
Green -> green mold, contamination

>Can Mushrooms grow from contaminated cakes?
Yes and no. In some cases they might, but in general the mold will surpress the mushrooms.

>What will happen if someone eat contaminated mushrooms?
That#s a good question. Depends on the mold: it might not do any harm, it might make you very sick. As a general rule, avoid mushrooms from contaminated cakes.

> Where are you from anno

Austria.

specialteaforyou

how did the cakes come out? im looking to start mine ASAP just getting info on whats new...havent done this since college any hints besides the tek?

HEGEMON

The cakes came out very easy.I'm new in mushroom cultivation,so i'm hollding 100% of  this tek.

HEGEMON

Twenty days past but still there is no signs of grow.I was wondering if i'm doing
something wrong,maybe i don't give them enough light.How many ours of light per day do they need?
Did you receive my mail anno?

anno

They need a couple of hours of light  a day (2+).
How is the humidity, do the cakes look bluish and dry?

>Did you receive my mail anno?
Yes, thank you very much, I will put it online soon.

HEGEMON

They look dry to me but not bluish, in fact they look the same as the day i birthed them. Bottom perlite layer is completely wet.

HEGEMON

Here is a photo of my cake

HEGEMON

anno

They look ok....perhaps it just needs some more time.