peat/verm

Started by fungiguy, July 15, 2009, 06:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungiguy

i just crossed over to the wonderful world of popcorn. the 1st attempt is cased (peat/verm 50/50). it should be ready for the fc by friday--hopefully. my question is this~~~~when pressure cooking, should i have a whole-with polyfill- in my jar lids?

fungiguy

i mean when i am pc'ing the peat/verm.

malabar

Fungiguy,
     Are you speaking about working the casing in the pc?   
  Whatever manner you pc your substrate, is the same for your casing.  It's just another step bro.
  I have a little popcorn project happening myself,....  If for no other reason, just for the experience.  I really work quite well with the grains, and/or millet mix.
  I'm about to do the g2g, and also spawn to coir with the corn within the next couple of days. 
  ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

fungiguy

hay malabar. i meant pc'ing the casing mixture. first time trying to case. the pint of popcorn i cased colonized very fast. but the other three are slow going and still in the incubator. so goes nature!! i plan on g2g with one, and case the other two. goood luck with your new venture!!!

psilocybin warrior

PC your casing mix? Why not spend 5 minutes in a microwave?

PW

malabar

PW,
  Old habits are hard to break.  Besides that, I haven't seen a bit of contamination in years.   ^_^    I pc, my grains, coir, casing,.....everything.
  Hell, if it were a bit larger,  I might just toss the SUV's in and save on detailing!    lol  And there are 2 nuke machines in this house, and I have not  even thought of asking permission to use them along these lines.
  Keep it on the Down Low , that I stuck some Coir in there on Saturday.....
   Or the little lady will be Kicking My Ass with both feet!   

psilocybin warrior

I havn't seen any contam's for a good minute (in my casings anyway). only takes 5 minutes, how long for your PC?

PW

malabar

PW,
  I give anything that goes into the pc, 45 minutes, and again, that's  a habit.  Then again, I also tend to mix items that are in the pc, other than blends that may contain processed compost.  And, I only pc the processed compost since I have seen things "come alive" after pasteurization, and we know pressure and heat will kill those suckers off.
  But, we do what we do,.... eh?  And, I have the time.

shroomzer

OH oH...thats it Malabar .. i'mma gonna rat you out~!  LOL .. now really it doesn't make a mess or anything to use the microwave .. just if you make a mess, clean it up.  sheesh, men~!  But then again, it sounds like you have a woman that keeps you on your toes now don't it?~!

malabar

Shroomzer,...
  Please,..please, don't drop that dime!    :huh:  I don't like the "Doghouse".     ^_^   
  Hell,..  The dogs don't even like the doghouse!  As far as using the toys in the kitchen,......  Well, I'm good!   Thx.
  I have my playground.  She has hers.     -_-      Unless I have business in there,....  I'll just avoid places I know i shouldn't be,.....  Other than that, I'm just passing through.     :rolleyes:
  As far as keeping me on my toes,.....  Can you,.....  Ballet? 
      :mellow:

fattrout

ok its time for my 2 cents,lol. i personally microwave my casing mix, it works for me.  -_-
i also, lysol the shit out of everything  ^_^. just before i do my mixing and cooking.
one more thing, i allways make sure the complete mix reaches 200 degrees. :ph34r:
fattrout

coyoteyogi

:mellow: I'm with Fattrout on this one. Its easy to get a digital candy thermometer and check the temp of the casing. At that stage of the process who wants to add contams to the mix?

malabar

Okay guys,
      I'm not knocking what you do,.....  I have no need for speed since I know just about how long it will take from beginning to end, and that won't happen any faster than it does by nature.       ^_^
  I have all of the toys to check temp, and and current conditions,.......But,....
I haven't been motivated to buy another microwave ( even though they are cheap ).   
        ****Most importantly,....... I refuse to "pay the cost" for, ignoring the BOSS,    :wacko:   and frequenting the kitchen with my projects, other than making lunch!     Yes, I'm Scared,.....
  So, Life Remains good in the House of Malabar,.......
      :mellow:

fungiguy

what kind of container/lid are u using in the microwave?

malabar

Fungiguy,
  You're beginning to scare me now!  lol    (kidding)   ^_^    Let's think about this,.......  Something microwave safe, maybe?   And, i would say just like food, loose lid if any, or it will explode.   -_-

fungiguy

hay there malabar. i know the dish has to be micro-safe, lol. i actually wanted to know about covering it. very funny though. btw, do u have a favorite strain to grow?? mabye because of higher yields, or more importantly, better trips(visuals). you have been on the scene a little longer than myself.

malabar

Fungiguy,
  Favorite strains,....  B+, Malabar,... ( of course), F+, TAZ, GT, and Creepers are always growing in my "lab".  I recently traded some colonizing grain for some colonizing Combodians on popcorn.  So, my portfolio is always diversifying.
  I will be doing a g2g with popcorn when I get back from camping this weekend, so we'll see where we go with that.
  I usually take in fairly large doses, and mix the F+, with TAZ which have given nice visuals.  But, like I said, I do fly higher than most.  Avg 15 gm dry, maybe more if the setting is right.     -_-

fungiguy

cool, thanks malabar. b+ and gt's are what i am currently yielding.  i have 6 jars (cakes) of taz almost fully colonized in the incubator. and, coincidentally, i also have several jars of popcorn knocked up with cam.

malabar

Nice.  You sound as though you have enough to start a little farm, then to mix and match to find your perfect blend.    -_-
  Glide smoothly my friend.  I have to get some work done, so I can get my weekend started this afternoon.
     Later     :mellow:

cugak

I dont have a microwave so for how long do i put casing mix in pc. And do jars need a filter or a tin foil wrap?
share international