rust in lc?

Started by Fun Guy, July 17, 2009, 02:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun Guy

so making a new lc with hawaii and have good myc growth but used a mason jar with metal disc lid.  have done this before and not had a problem but this time some rust dropped into lc.  Myc is still advancing but I wonder if this is going to affect anything?

p.s.  Have learned my lesson and I will find suitable plastic to use from now on but would love not to waste this batch as a week setback is no fun.

psilocybin warrior

If I were you I would hurry and transfer as much as you can into multiple plastic contained lc's.

PW

Azurascender

I can't see rust as an invasive variable in your culture. Maybe in the immediate vicinity of the mycelium but not in the growth of the jar as a whole. I have had the same problem, using jar lids in 5-6 generations of pressure cooking, and it took nothing more then a thorough washing to eliminate any variables concerning yield or progression.
Chloroform and a dish towel, yeah that will keep them quiet....

malabar

Fun Guy,
  I would go along with PW, in advising you to get on those transfers as soon as possible.
  Though you may not notice the negative effects immediately, rust is a highly invasive and corrosive mold which mutates during its natural life cycle, thus adapting to destroy and contaminate metals, infect blood, and tissues.
  ~Malabar    :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!

Maximillian1

I have had the same problem in the past after reusing old lids as after a couple times the plating starts to come off and they begin to rust. I have had no problems with small amounts of rust affecting colonization or subsequent growth. Just make absolutely sure that it is definitely rust and not some type of contamination. I wouldn't waste the time or effort to transfer them as long as they don't smell funny.

Trips509

Quote from: malabar on July 19, 2009, 05:37:40 AM
Fun Guy,
  I would go along with PW, in advising you to get on those transfers as soon as possible.
  Though you may not notice the negative effects immediately, rust is a highly invasive and corrosive mold which mutates during its natural life cycle, thus adapting to destroy and contaminate metals, infect blood, and tissues.
  ~Malabar    :mellow:

Rust is iron oxide. Just oxygen and the metal from the lids formed with moister. It is not living. It does not have a life cycle. But I believe there is some rust colored molds.

psilocybin warrior

malabar

Pw,
  I'm with you there,...   I thought we were over this a while back!  lol
    ~Malabar   :mellow:
My Kung Fu may suck,.....  But, my Shrooms Kick Ass!